Instructor Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just a Canadian issue. Thank the instructors and shops that have killed and injured so many people the last couple of years. I saw one quote where an insurer was offering a reduced(?) rate of 899 for 500K of coverage. Having been involved with certain entities I can tell you that 500K won't even cover the defense costs if there's an incident. Especially if your co-defendant throws you under the bus.
It is not going to get any better unless there is a seismic change in the certification process.
Those increased costs are one of many reasons I'm not renewing and retiring from teaching.
I'm going to just dive and focus on trying to have fun and where possible, help those injured and the survivors of those killed by the industry to get some peace. And maybe a little justice.
Agreed. I just signed up for my final year of being an insured instructor. Enough is enough.

V&B wants $1,851 for the same limits ($1 Million/$2 Million) that DAN is charging $829 for. While it is a small sampling, the 5 instructors I know who were with V&B all switched to DAN. I would be curious to know how many instructors decided to stay with V&B at reduced coverage or payed the higher rate.

Anyone teaching should establish that as a separate LLC business and keep all teaching business 100% separated from any personal assets, home, etc.

Not just a Canadian issue. V&B's underwriter dropped the Caribbean and I'm hearing insane renewal premiums for facilities in the US ($150k for one).

Regarding the LLC separation, I've heard that a number of times but can't the individual instructor still be held accountable regardless of the LLC? I'm not a lawyer at all, but I've heard mixed stories on this - I think an independent working 100% as an independent could still be on the hook, but an independent working with others might find that beneficial in the event one of the others were grossly negligent.

Not just a Canadian issue. V&B's underwriter dropped the Caribbean and I'm hearing insane renewal premiums for facilities in the US ($150k for one).

Regarding the LLC separation, I've heard that a number of times but can't the individual instructor still be held accountable regardless of the LLC? I'm not a lawyer at all, but I've heard mixed stories on this - I think an independent working 100% as an independent could still be on the hook, but an independent working with others might find that beneficial in the event one of the others were grossly negligent.
I have been told that forming an LLC will not protect you against personal liability for your own negligence. I am pretty sure that the owners/instructors of the LDS nearby (which is an LLC) also carry personal liability coverage.

Just thinking out loud here, I wonder what the end game is? No more scuba instruction in North America? Maybe it will reduce the amount of instructors (maybe not a bad thing). Then again traveling internationally just to get certified does not seem ideal. If there are a reduced amount of instructors because insurance is so expensive will remaining instructors be able to make a better living at it, less supply so more expensive?

Just thinking out loud here, I wonder what the end game is? No more scuba instruction in North America? Maybe it will reduce the amount of instructors (maybe not a bad thing). Then again traveling internationally just to get certified does not seem ideal. If there are a reduced amount of instructors because insurance is so expensive will remaining instructors be able to make a better living at it, less supply so more expensive?
A lot of North American instructors are likely part time. Have a full time doing something else, probably not scuba related.

you are all right i had to really think about hanging up teaching .....sorry you did jim you were one of the good ones , ill hang in this year but maybe not next ...long hard look at the cost ......40 + years teaching going because of insurance......with every thing else going on in canada ! where do you move too !!!!!

Has anyone used scubalife.com for instructor insurance? They are advertising $625.
I got my instructor rating in 2019, but do to Covid just started teaching friends and family this summer, but with insurance and PADI fees, I'm in the same boat as many of you and may not do much more of it. Have to have about 10 students just to cover insurance costs, not to mention equipment, pool rentals, etc.

Agreed. I just signed up for my final year of being an insured instructor. Enough is enough.
For me teaching classes never regained its magic since Covid. So I decided not to renewing my insurance this year. Besides my shop bleeding money I was losing money as well each weekend because of the travel / hotel expenses. Dive industry is hurting. It was fun while it lasted.

Back
Top Bottom