Instructor turns 90!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Roy Damron-90th Birthday
Roy Damron pioneer NAUI Instructor, will be 90 years old August 27th 2011.
He was certified as a NAUI Instructor in 1963 at Santa Monica, California.

He is belived to be the oldest living NAUI Instructor

Roy lives in Hawaiian on the Big Island.

Address damronr001@hawaii.rr.com

It would be appreciated if each and every one of you who read this would send him an e-mail to help him celebrate 90th birthday.

Dr. Samuel Miller,111
NAUI Instructor, #27,
(Lowest NAUI number in California)

How about it?

Take a few moments to drop an E mail on Roy congrats on turning the big and I do mean BIG

~~~~~~ 9-0 ~~~~~~

As the fellow said...

How old are you?

Roy replied, 90!

The fellow replied, I wouldn't want to be 90!

Roy replied You would if you were 89!

Send him an e mail 90 years old is one heck of a milestone

Is this the same Roy Damron who was a swing dancer in the movies in the 40's and 50's?

edit: Just found this interesting article about Roy: http://friendsofnelha.wikispaces.com/file/view/DamronEM.pdf

So yes, he was a swing dancer in Hollywood, among many other things.

Roy was in a few movies, was not credited for most of them.. always in back ground, non speaking etc, BUT made $$$$$...Not a Robert Redford or Brad Pitt.

There are a lot of movie people who are waiting tables, parking cars etc, Roy was a waterman so he became ASAP a early NAUI instructor..introduced and taught a lot of Hollywood types the joy of the UW world but none of great fame. He moved to the islands about 30-40 years ago for some movie work...never returned to the mainland except for IQ and DEMA,

sdm

Received this email response:
THANKS TO THE EFFORTS OF ART ULLRICH AND SAM MILLER I have been deluged with Happy Birthday e-mails.

Several of you asked questions in regards to my background so I'll attempt a quick Bio.

Born in Los Angeles, CA. Aug. 27th, 1921
Started working in Hollywood Picture Business while still in High School.
Got hooked on Scuba while working on TV Series Sea Hunt.
Became certified NAUI Instructor at course in May 1962 held at Jonathan Athletic Club, Santa Monica, CA. Course was directed by Al Tilman and Garry Howland. My certification number is #207, between Larry Cushman and Dewey Bergman.
Moved to Hawaii in 1965. Formed Damron Divers School and established the NAUI Hawaii Branch serving as Branch Manager. Served on NAUI Board of Director 1972-1980, Board of Advisors and as Instructor Course Director.. Received NAUI Meritorious Service, Outstanding Contribution, and Hall of Honor.

Thank you again for taking the time to remember my birthday.

We are indeed members of a wonderful organization whose slogans include "NAUI CARES" and "Safety Through Education".

Roy Damron, NAUI #207

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom