Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hehehe....

Wow. My dad sounded just like all the "stick in the muds" above. My mom sounded just like ArtChick...

Probably explains why their mariage didn't make it. and why I was so confused growing up :wink:

Well, I ended up following dad into engeneering/tech and just diving the weekends.

Mom still worries when I dive though (I havent told her I'm trying skydiving this weekend yet =-) ).

I'm an engineer, and I was a ski bum before going to college.

The only classes I consistently did well in with little effort in High School, were math and physics. But, I had little desire to work in those fields (as I knew them then), I found them relatively uninteresting. Had I gone to college right out of High School I probably would have dropped out or made a bad decision (like a physics degree, where you need a graduate degree to do anything fun with, and you are doing it the rest of your life or, even worse a history degree->law school, both of which I would have struggled to get through).

I think the time off really shaped the next phase of my life, in a very positive way.

That being said, I came back and got my degree because degrees are invaluable. If you have the resources, plan on getting a degree. Without a doubt it opens more doors than anything else.

I only practiced engineering for a couple of years (hated it, and, worked in a lab that I think was about as good as it gets, for me).

But, after another two year ski bum stint, I found myself broke (with a broken back) and in need of not only money, but something stimulating... Ski bumming was a blast, but after four years of it I was ready for something different.

I went to wall street and started writing software. I had no experience, but, I had a degree, so eventually someone was willing to give me a chance. So, I worked hard for a couple of years (like two), established a name and still in the game. I no longer love it, but it pays wells and I don't dislike it. I'll change to another industry one day... because I can... I have a degree. (I'm 35 now)

There are those who don't get a degree and do fine (like Bill Gates, he's a dropout). But, they are few and far between, and usually married to a single industry that they excelled in.

Seriously, plan on starting college no later than two years after you graduate HS. Travel, get a DM, do some teaching, and then go to school (where, you can probably teach OW classes in their pool).

Talk to anyone, with or without a degree, everyone wants one... or two... (one was more than enough for me, I hated school) Also, many people look back on college as some of the best years of their life.

I'm an artist that studies Engineering. Before I started studying in univercity I used to own a bar, and later became diving instructor, in a fool time job. It didn't make me reach with money, but it did enrich me with experiences I'd never had otherwise and would trade for nothing . And most importantly- It was tremendouse fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom