Insurance ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parrothed

Reaction score
I found this at SeaScape, used on my last trip, and won't dive w/o it again. You can go to scubafoot.com and check out the rescue id...it has waterproof paper that allows you to log all of your insurance information and keep it on your wrist rather than your bc.
Anyone else have anything they dive with to keep that information handy? I'd kept mine in my log book which didn't do me a lot of good since it was in my room while I was in the water.

My wife and I considered the DAN tag originally but figured that we'd go with the rescue id since it stays attached to you rather than having it attached to the bc or something else that could get kicked out of the way.

Parrothed once bubbled...
My wife and I considered the DAN tag originally but figured that we'd go with the rescue id since it stays attached to you rather than having it attached to the bc or something else that could get kicked out of the way.

I don't see how a velcro wrist strap is any less likely to get misplaced in a rescue. If anything, because the rescue ID is small, I would think that, if misplaced, it would be more likely to not be found.

In addition, the DAN tags are printed so there is no problem with other people reading my writing, the ink smudging, or the ink wearing off due to exposure to the sun. Personally, I don't like the way the rescue ID works - a rescuer would have to know that a slip of paper is in the velcro wrist thing (which could fall out). In addition, I'm not a velcro fan for diving, since the velcro eventually seems to gets enough sand in it that it doesn't adhere very well.

What my buddies and I do is print up an info sheet in MS Word and take it to a copy shop for lamination. We had them use the heavy duty laminate material and had them double laminated. Included on the sheet is name, address, pertinent medical information like history, meds, allergies and blood type. We also have emergency contact info (at least two different contacts) on the sheet. Add the DAN phone number and member ID number and you're stylin' and profilin'. We keep it in our wetnotes. You could slip it in a bc pocket or even just in your divebag. The most important part of this ID sheet though is making sure someone else knows it's there. We all know each other has one and where it is kept so we can get to it if necessary. There is no use in having one if you are unconsious and the only one who knows about the sheet. :rolleyes:

We had no problems with the velcro or, much to my surpise, the paper smudging. The paper's waterproof and hold's the ink better than you'd think possible and the way the band's designed it'd be hard for the paper to slip out of it. The band's meant to be worn on the right hand since divers in distress are usually rolled onto their left side which would make the band more visible and easier to find than a tag located somewhere on the diver. The only "problem" I had with the band was forgetting to take it off when we went out for the evening:D

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
What my buddies and I do is print up an info sheet in MS Word and take it to a copy shop for lamination.

Thats a great Idea - I like that. I wish everyone had something like that it would sure make life easier!

I found a skinny dry-box at my LDS the size of a standard ID or credit card. It's just wide enough to slip in my pertinent cards (C, insurance, ID, credit), a little cash, and even my car key. It has a long lanyard to position comfortably around my neck. I wear in between my wetsuit and hooded vest. It's very secure and really handy for those quick trips into the dive shop for airfills and impulsive purchases :wink:

~LittleFrog

LittleFrog once bubbled...
I found a skinny dry-box at my LDS the size of a standard ID or credit card. It's just wide enough to slip in my pertinent cards (C, insurance, ID, credit), a little cash, and even my car key. It has a long lanyard to position comfortably around my neck. I wear in between my wetsuit and hooded vest. It's very secure and really handy for those quick trips into the dive shop for airfills and impulsive purchases :wink:

~LittleFrog

I've owned boxes this size before, but is it actually watertight? The couple of boxes this size that I own leak after around 10'. Who's the manufacturer?

Sorry to hear that PurduEE. So far mine has been watertight. I've used it for about 10-15 dives so far at 50-60 ft. Everything has been dry until I stick my salty wet fingers in :wink: I don't know the manufacturer but I will check with the LDS where I purchased it and get back to you.

~LittleFrog

Back
Top Bottom