Inter-Island Travel with Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I leave Monday for DIR-F in Kona and was wondering if anyone has tried traveling inter-island (Island Air Dash-8 planes) with a weighted BP/wing? I've got about 4 lbs of lead on my 6lb plate and wondering if it will make it past security? TSA says they allow you to hand carry BCD's, but does anyone have experience with a BP/Wing setup? (since it's more metal than standard BCD's?) If it makes any difference I'm flying out of the Kahului commuter terminal... sure wish they had direct flights from Kapalua - no security checks there :wink:

Mahalo, Tim

kidspot:
Well I leave Monday for DIR-F in Kona and was wondering if anyone has tried traveling inter-island (Island Air Dash-8 planes) with a weighted BP/wing? I've got about 4 lbs of lead on my 6lb plate and wondering if it will make it past security? TSA says they allow you to hand carry BCD's, but does anyone have experience with a BP/Wing setup? (since it's more metal than standard BCD's?) If it makes any difference I'm flying out of the Kahului commuter terminal... sure wish they had direct flights from Kapalua - no security checks there :wink:

Mahalo, Tim

Hi again Tim!! Don't know if this will help, but when we did our travelling, Bob disassembled his backplate and wing and put all the pieces in his dive bag/luggage. But that was on ATA, and not interisland. The TSA almost always checked the dive bags because of the metal in them, but we never had a problem. HOpe this helps! Take care and enjoy the class! Maggi

bobmaggi:
Hi again Tim!! Don't know if this will help, but when we did our travelling, Bob disassembled his backplate and wing and put all the pieces in his dive bag/luggage. But that was on ATA, and not interisland. The TSA almost always checked the dive bags because of the metal in them, but we never had a problem. HOpe this helps! Take care and enjoy the class! Maggi

Thanks Maggi,

Glad you got both got home safely. I packed everything this afternoon and with my lead it comes to 46 lbs... so it's 2lbs over - I'll have to see if they let it by, if not I'll just take out 2lbs of lead and buy one over there :(

Aloha, Tim

P.S. You guys left just in time, high surf, rain and gusty winds the last week been kind of messing things up - it's finally settling down, so hopefully it will be clear in Kona by tomorrow :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom