Interested in Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BVickery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I checked out the underwater hunting part of the forum and a lot of the posts suggested I try here first about gathering some basic information.

I live up in NE Florida and will be spearfishing here and mainly the keys.

So, what will I need besides the speargun? Also, what kind and length should I look at? Not going to go out immediately, but the wife is also interested in taking this up as well. I'm about 6'7 and she is 5'5.

Thanks for any help/advice

I agree with Onespeed that spearboard is probably your best resource. I'm on both boards. I'm no expert; I just started spearfishing this year but I can tell you what has worked for me so far:

1. AB Biller 48 Special Gun (I'm an inch shorter than your wife and have no problem loading this gun). You'll have to figure out what type of hunting you are planning on getting into before purchasing a gun. Mine works great for reef hunting on scuba, but you would need something totally different if you're going for bluewater and/or freediving.
2. A stringer to keep your fish on
3. A lift bag to send fish up to the surface if needed (you don't have to use it, but it's good to have). I just learned that this weekend =)
4. A knife with a sharp tip to silence your fish after you shoot it
5. A wetsuit to protect you from sharp spines, etc.

Those are the basics that I have.
Good luck

I agree with Onespeed that spearboard is probably your best resource. I'm on both boards. I'm no expert; I just started spearfishing this year but I can tell you what has worked for me so far:

1. AB Biller 48 Special Gun (I'm an inch shorter than your wife and have no problem loading this gun). You'll have to figure out what type of hunting you are planning on getting into before purchasing a gun. Mine works great for reef hunting on scuba, but you would need something totally different if you're going for bluewater and/or freediving.
2. A stringer to keep your fish on
3. A lift bag to send fish up to the surface if needed (you don't have to use it, but it's good to have). I just learned that this weekend =)
4. A knife with a sharp tip to silence your fish after you shoot it
5. A wetsuit to protect you from sharp spines, etc.

Those are the basics that I have.
Good luck

Both are correct, but in the keys the most important is where your allowed to spear, otherwise you will not have 2, 3, 4, 5 or anything else as it will be consfiscated..
Good luck..........

I joined the board, just waiting for activation.

BVickery,

Several of us who go on the U/W Hunting section here have been on pretty much on Spearboard since it started.

I'll defer to the guys from your area about NE FL.

You're not going to want short guns for the offshore waters, especially at your size. You can handle a 52 - 57 inch gun easily. I prefer a 55" Daryl Wong Fl Freeshafter for scuba. (You can use it for a line gun too.) I have several guns of many models and makes.

Too much to talk about for tonight.

If you want to train first send me an e-mail from my website. I can't attach info to PMs.

Chad

But I've speared all over thr rest of FL and the SE US for over 32 years.

For those on the site, any idea how long I will be waiting to get a response? I joined about 1:45pm and still waiting for the admin/mod to add me.

Tony is usually pretty good about new accounts. If your still not on give me a shout and I will help you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom