Interesting book about Trimix rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidlee

Reaction score
Hello,

It's my first post on this forum so first of all my name is David R. Lee and I live in Hong Kong.
I also have to make clear than I'm new to CCR. I own and use a german RB80 clone since a few years and enjoy diving with it in HK and abroad. :)

I just finished to read the two books written by C. Verdier about Rebreather diving. One is about Nitrox diving with a rebreather, and even if I'm already an SCR rebreather diver, I have to admit I learnt a lot of things reading it.

But the most interesting book was the one about Trimix rebreather diving. Here I found all the information needed for planning and diving with a CCR or an SCR on trimix. Full of tips and tricks.
Both books are on the DIRrebreather - Rebreather DIR scuba diving philosophy for CCR (Closed Circuit) and SCR (Semi Closed Circuit) Rebreather divers website.

It's a PItY! Print It Yourself, from a PDF file. :wink:
Wonder if it explains how to read a depth gauge. :rofl3:

???

I thought DIR was a copyright owned by GUE/WKPP? Or in this case is DIRrebreather an new, "marketable" iteration of the above?

X

I don't know about DIR being copyrighted but DIRrebreather is something that Cedric Verdier concocted about a year ago. It is not meant to exactly copy DIR of open circuit but to apply a system for rebreather divers offering the same results.

I don't know about DIR being copyrighted but DIRrebreather is something that Cedric Verdier concocted about a year ago. It is not meant to exactly copy DIR of open circuit but to apply a system for rebreather divers offering the same results.

Thanks. Without having the book I wonder if it's even possible to duplicate team-based approaches for the slew of dissimilar RB's out there? I do appreciate the fact that the WKPP uses a highly standardized set of equipment & protocols. Makes life easier.

X

Thanks. Without having the book I wonder if it's even possible to duplicate team-based approaches for the slew of dissimilar RB's out there? I do appreciate the fact that the WKPP uses a highly standardized set of equipment & protocols. Makes life easier.

X

Yeh, it's a bit of a mess with a slew of different manufacturers building units that they see as perfect in their eyes. Although we'll never hit nirvana, I truly believe there is a good bit of standardization that can be done. Things such as O2 on the right, O2 cell checks over dive set point at 20', and standardized bailout (as in - CARRY IT! for starters) are just a few examples. A long journey always starts with the first step but I'm not holding my breath that something like this will ever take hold throughout the sport. The monster has already been unleashed. I think it will be difficult to reign it in. However, small teams/groups can certainly strive for this. :wink:

???

I thought DIR was a copyright owned by GUE/WKPP? Or in this case is DIRrebreather an new, "marketable" iteration of the above?

X

I've never seen a copyright for DIR. As far as GUE/WKPP the term DIR is certainly associated with that group which does shun CCR's. Maybe change is in the air or "gas." I can embrace much of the rationale behind DIR.

YBOD and Meg Pilot

Former dive partners Verdier and Gadd had a huge fallout a while back,
where the 200+ m dive of Verdier went up in smoke.
Appearantly he dove 170 something meters, quite an achievement imho,
but not the claimed and widely published 200+ m.

Or in this case is DIRrebreather an new, "marketable" iteration of the above?
The "Doing It Rebreather" was an almost instantanious response to GI3 during the battles once fought on the old techdiver and nw lists, by the the CCR/YBOD crowd.
Verdier just picked up on it and uses the term for his marketing.
Stephen "Madmole" Hawkins had it on his "Inspiration Buddy" website years ago.

Taking a wild guess, the "DIR" and "Doing it right" logos are probably protected
(registered trademarks),I doubt all iterations of it could be.

Former dive partners Verdier and Gadd had a huge fallout a while back,
where the 200+ m dive of Verdier went up in smoke.
Appearantly he dove 170 something meters, quite an achievement imho,
but not the claimed and widely published 200+ m.

The "Doing It Rebreather" was an almost instantanious response to GI3 during the battles once fought on the old techdiver and nw lists, by the the CCR/YBOD crowd.
Verdier just picked up on it and uses the term for his marketing.
Stephen "Madmole" Hawkins had it on his "Inspiration Buddy" website years ago.

Taking a wild guess, the "DIR" and "Doing it right" logos are probably protected
(registered trademarks),I doubt all iterations of it could be.

Thanks Stefan. I wasn't sure what it all meant. If anything, credibility is important in this niche of the sport. 200 vs 170 pretty deep, however if it didn't happen...leads to BIG problems with that ole' credibility thing. Also this for DIRb marketing...makes me grit my teeth a little.

BTW - I used to love all the wars on TECH diver and the NW list. I had a a few jabs in there. Very entertaining. Interestingly enough, Irvine is quite a professional when I have dealth with him on the phone. On the net. he is something else. Anyway, this sector of tech diving is filled with egos that are just crazy at times which is why I have migrated here for my RB news. Much more friendlier and at times goofy which I appreciate.

Cheers,

X

Back
Top Bottom