Interesting book about Trimix rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Former dive partners Verdier and Gadd had a huge fallout a while back,
where the 200+ m dive of Verdier went up in smoke.
Appearantly he dove 170 something meters, quite an achievement imho,
but not the claimed and widely published 200+ m.

Hello Caveseeker7

I followed the fight between the 2 former dive partners. As far as I know, Mr Gadd was not even there during the dive and just attacked Mr Verdier with no proof. On the other hand, Mr Verdier's website has a picture of his depth gauge showing 225m.
I don't understand why you write this kind of gossips (as you said "appearantly") when it has nothing to do with the books Mr Verdier wrote.

regards

David R. Lee

Tell me what depth you want me to "dive" and what depth gauge to use, and in couple of days I'll have the picture you. Depending how busy work gets, sooner.

Tell me what depth you want me to "dive" and what depth gauge to use, and in couple of days I'll have the picture you. Depending how busy work gets, sooner.

Hello caveseeker7

I find your reply very provocative.

I am surprised by this answer. This post is about books that I enjoyed reading. It's nice to have other people sharing their opinion about the content of this book.
I think Mr Verdier has a lot of qualifications in diving, has done a lot of explorations and expeditions and has taught a lot of courses. I find a little bit sad that the only comment about this book you want to do is about a fight between its author and another diver many months ago.

For my first post on this forum, I don't think your reply was very positive. No offence.

Regards

David R. Lee

Hello caveseeker7

I do agree Cedric has done a lot and his articles are quite fascinating to read.

You could take offence at Stefan's remarks but I can assure you it isn't worth it. :D (Sorry Stef) :blinking:

You weren't at Oztek 2007 (A Technical Diving Show in Australia) in March where Cedric was to give a talk on the Sre Keow Cave Expedition of which is what Stefan is referring to.

Unfortunately that talk never went ahead as Cedric pulled out in the last minute giving no reason whatsoever.

There was a lot of disappointment with claims and counter claims.

Here are some threads to make up your own mind.

240m dive in Sra Keow: Trip report - Rebreather World Forums

A bit of banter

Meg goes to 255* - Rebreather World Forums

More info

You will see Mike Gadd's picture here.

Sra Keow III expedition - pics up - Rebreather World Forums

240m/784ffw exploration in Sra Keow cave, Thailand. - Rebreather World Forums

By all means keep reading the books and learn from them. :lotsalove:

For my first post on this forum, I don't think your reply was very positive. No offence.
Hi David, no offense taken. My initial reply was that there is no book in print,
rather a pdf file that can be bought and downloaded. And the sarcastic remark
about the depth gauge. Wasn't meant to reflect on you enjoying or recommending
the book or anything else CV writes.

I think Mr Verdier has a lot of qualifications in diving, has done a lot of explorations and expeditions and has taught a lot of courses.
Indeed he has all of that. Actually, I did also write 'Appearantly he dove 170 something meters, quite an achievement imho,..." which goes to show that I do respect those kind of dives. Deeper than I'll ever go. And I never said that he wasn't qualified or the wrong person to get trained by. I'm perfectly aware that in order to do the dives he's done one needs a lot of skill, knowledge, experience and balls. No arguments there.

I find a little bit sad that the only comment about this book you want to do is about a fight between its author and another diver many months ago.
I haven't read the book, hence I won't comment on it.

I am surprised by this answer.
Well, the answers were to a questions asked.

Regarding CV, I couldn't care less if he and his former dive partners get along or not. Nor do I care what label he uses to sell his products or services.

I do however have problems when it comes to claims regarding extreme dives that don't quite pan out. Not because I despise lies, or have any moral problem or the like with it.

These dives were far beyond manufacturer's specifications for the equipment.
By claiming these achievements he claims that the equipemnt used operated at these depth, in these extreme conditions. That, imho, is wrong, bordering on dangerous. More so in the small world of life support equipment known as rebreathers, where formal testing tends to be the exception and customers are frequently the crash test dummies.

At least one manufacturer posted the use of their product just about as soon as the achievement became known. It has since been removed from their website, at least was last time I visited.

Anyway, that's the major problem I have with the whole story, and the fact that CV is as experienced, as skilled and as good as he is makes it worse from where I'm standing. Same with the fact that he is an instructor, an educator.

It's just my opinion, he, you, every- and anyone can disagree, I won't take offense.

Doesn't mean the book isn't worth reading, either. By all means, read it and learn from it. Then pick up the next one and do it all over again. Doesn't make a difference if it was written by Pyle, Mount, Bozanic, Verdier, Jablonski, or a couple decades ago by Hass, chances are you'll learn something you didn't know before.

Safe for Verdier, whose "marketing" I rather not support financially at this point, I've read books and articles from all of them and always learned something.

Dear caveseeker7,

I find your last post much more open-minded and objective. Thank you.

However I don't subscribe to your point of view regarding the argument between Mr Gadd and Mr Verdier. I never saw any proof from Mr Gadd that made me think that he was right attacking Mr Verdier about the maximum depth reached. I'm not someone who blindly trusts a person just because he repeats and repeats again the same thing everywhere.

I guess you and me are just simple viewers who have nothing that proves that one of these two divers is right and the other wrong. My opinion is that if you have no proof, it would be wiser not to publicly criticize someone. You never know what kind of personal/professional consequence this might have on the person being criticized. :shakehead:

It's maybe better to share comments about Mr Verdier's trimix book.

regards

David R. Lee

I'll preface this by saying that I haven't read Cedric's book.

However, on the concept of team based CCR diving- there are quite a few of us out there doing it. I, along with a number of friends, made the jump to CCR two and half years ago. Essentially we replaced the doubles on our backs with Megs (we all bought the same unit, which does make things easier). As far as communication, team based "mentality", bailout planning (both quantity and mix), and decompression- we continue to plan and execute as a team- all on the same page. We didn't magically start doing "same ocean, same buddy" dives either- we continue to dive in cohesive teams.

So, while on the surface it does appear somewhat counterintuitive, I can assure you that shifting all of those principals from OC to CCR is indeed possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom