interesting equipment failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does DIR have to do with any of this? It wasn't a DIR diver. It wasn't a DIR dive. When was it ever DIR to not have your equipment in good working order?

Get defensive much?

In the early GUE/DIR days the practice was to only have second stages hand tight to the hose, the idea was to carry a spare 2nd stage in your pocket for the unlikely event you had a 2nd stage failure. Because of this moronic recommendation many, many divers had issues with cutting the hose oring while diving. That recommendation is no longer made thank goodness.

This is why I said it used to be fairly common in DIR circles..and it was. I was there.

Get defensive much?

In the early GUE/DIR days the practice was to only have second stages hand tight to the hose, the idea was to carry a spare 2nd stage in your pocket for the unlikely event you had a 2nd stage failure. Because of this moronic recommendation many, many divers had issues with cutting the hose oring while diving. That recommendation is no longer made thank goodness.

This is why I said it used to be fairly common in DIR circles..and it was. I was there.

Chris is correct that it used to be a fairly common practice. Ditto for having the face plate on your second stage just tight enough that you could unscrew it to remove debris (sand/sticks/etc).

Unscrewing the faceplate is a real thing. Its saved me a dive or two, and allowed me to get at deco gas a time or two.

In the early GUE/DIR days the practice was to only have second stages hand tight to the hose

Yep, I was there too. Never thought it was a good idea either. After I had a second almost come off in the water, I tightened them all up after that.

Unscrewing the faceplate is a real thing. Its saved me a dive or two, and allowed me to get at deco gas a time or two.

Ever try the pantyhose bit? Remove mouth piece, put a piece of pantyhose around orifice, put mouth piece back on. Viola, no more silt/shells/mud getting into the second stage unless something happens to the mushroom valve in the exhaust T.

For a little followup, here is the offending O-ring:

THK5269.jpg

yup, extruded and cut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom