interesting story--diving and flying (airplanes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintaka

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On Saturday morning (9:00 am) I went on a two tank/two site charter out of Ocean Reef (near Key Largo). The divers consisted of myself, my step-son, the dive master and a threesome consisting of a father, a son and son's friend (both in their 20s). The threesome struggled with setting up their gear and seemed to be worried about how deep we would go. At any rate, the boat arrived at the first site and while we were gearing up, the father announced that they were flying out later that afternoon. The DM immediately told them that he was sorry, but he could not permit them to dive at all and explained why. The three of them had to wait on the boat while we did two dives (the dad ended up getting seasick ). I felt really sorry for them, but was impressed with the DM's attention to safety. I did ask myself why they were not aware of the flying after diving guidelines (rules) and wondered about what else they didnt know.

When I went on my very first dive, (discover scuba diving in Aruba), 1st thing they've asked after I've filled out health questionnaire, if I am flying out any time soon. My flight was few days after the dive and even before showing me the video, I was explained why flying after diving is a nono.

Curiously enough, the dive shop that did my Discover Scuba Diving offers flights to ABC islands. They've explained that flights are on a very low altitude and pressure is not a problem.

In your case, I am guessing they either forgot about flying and diving, or nobody told them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom