Interesting thoughts on safe buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps this guy just isn't a very good buddy at all, with or without a camera, or their ideas about what makes a good buddy were just different from yours. As has already been said here, some people want their buddy right next to them all the time while for other people, being in the same general area is fine, all long as you know what's what beforehand, you can adjust accordingly. As a new diver without much experience in different environments, I haven't figured out yet what I like; I just hope that when I do figure it out, my buddy has got similar ideas.

NWGratefulDiver's article is a good one on this.

I do believe that if photographers are considered bad buddies, it's because we're really boring buddies. That is, we don't fin all over the place as if we need to cover the whole dive site in one dive. So if you're not used to that, then you will quickly leave me in the dust and will need to backtrack in order to find me. Now who's the bad buddy? Seriously, though, if I myself were not shooting, I would not want to be a photographer's or videographer's buddy. If there are good subjects right under the boat, one might not ever get more than a few feet from the anchor line!

Personally I never leave the boat/beach/dock without a camera (video). I have, however, hit the water without a buddy. But I don't like to. The very best compromise, in my short experience, is to dive with a group of photographers/videographers. It is "same ocean buddy" or "group solo" diving, but it's a common mindset and a good, slow pace. Works quite well for open water, shallow reef dives.

A photographer can make up for his "boringness" by taking a few shots of his buddy and giving them to him to use as his or her SB avatar.

A photographer can make up for his "boringness" by taking a few shots of his buddy and giving them to him to use as his or her SB avatar.
I don't know, Skipper. There are some people out there who'd be better off with a cartoon fish or something like that for an avatar. Not you, of course...:wink:

I think that's a great idea :)

I have dived with a photographer and they do tend to go slow, and that's ok ... I might feel differently though about spending the whole dive in one spot waiting for some critter to move into position

I don't know, Skipper. There are some people out there who'd be better off with a cartoon fish or something like that for an avatar. Not you, of course...:wink:
yeah

.. hey! wait a minute!

Great replies, and thanks for the advice.

I hadn't dove before with someone who was sporting a camera, so I had no idea to expect that sort of behaviour, though I'm now well-aware of it. It would have been nice to get some verification about that from him, though my guess is he assumed (incorrectly) that I was aware of what diving with a photog would be like.

In future, more communication. Good learning experience to say the least.

PS:
Seadog_Malta:
IMO the only reason she was acting a good buddy is that she was freshly qualified and was adopting a by-the-book approach.
Absolutely right in the second part. She was by the book the whole way and for that reason neither of us had any unwanted surprises or changes to our expectations, and things went very well because of it. "The book" (in this case PADI) lays out some fundamental steps to take as a diver. If people want to deviate from that, that's totally fine, though that should be made clear before a dive, hence the communication thing. I was very glad to be with someone who assumed we'd do things by the books, as we never discussed otherwise, and not having done so would have been very irresponsible considering our lack of experience.

I find that most UW photographers are definitively "special needs". With many, the situation is that they will have a buddy but you don't, because they almost never look at you, so it is pretty asymmetric. With very inexperienced divers who are taking a camera for the first time it is also relatively common that they loose buoyancy control and start floating up as they hold their breath to take the pic, so they can really benefit from an attentive buddy.

Having said that ... I actually like diving with photographers. Mostly I know what to expect. I keep pretty close and make it all a game by trying to help them find nice stuff to photograph or, when at nite, using my light to help the camera focus on a critter before the strobes go off (for some cameras it helps). When the photographer is a good diver as well as a photographer, it is a great experience to go back on the boat and look at the photos that the "team" has achieved. As people have mentioned, the best is to discuss the plan before the dive and make sure you both get something out of it.

I guess photographers buddies are like other buddies in the consideration department. I don't "dive through my camera" I enjoy diving and capturing bits of he dive through the camera. Some photographers their camera IS the DIVE.

I like to enjoy the diving experience and that includes my buddies. I like to find interesting stuff and share it with my buddies. I keep an eye on my buddy and try to be considerate of them. If I have found a particularly interesting subject I will signal my buddy and ask if he is OK with me taking more time at that critter. If my buddy looks bored or indicates they want to move on.. I DO!

I have dived with Photographers who drove me nuts because they were inconsiderate of their buddy.... I have met non photographers who drove me nuts because they were inconsiderate of their buddy.

I think a buddy should add something of value to the mix, not just carry your spare air.

In my book a good buddy communicates and agrees before the dive about ex[pectation, goals, dive plans, safety procedures and follow those plans. A good buddy keeps an eye out for you... but doesn't have to hold your hand. A good buddy has reasonable dive skills and situational awareness. It is also good to buddy with someone who has similar air consumption and bottom time expectations/potential.

I have had some pretty unpleasant dives with people who raced around so quickly you couldn't see anything because the fish where cringing in hiding from the activity and I wound up exhausted form the marathon swim. I have also has come pretty unpleasant dives with Photog's who would spend most of the dive on one subject.

I am a diver who likes to share the experience with a buddy who enjoys the experience as much as I do it takes both being committed to shared enjoyment for things to work. It also means debriefing after the dive to make sure it continues so you can get a new buddy if it didn't work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom