"Into the Blue" dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tristessa

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I finally saw into the blue tonight. Intresting movie, wouldn't be one without Jessica Alba but, oh well. Here's my question:

During some dive scenes in the movie they used these big lights, they looked like a huge long canister with the light-head attached straight to them. I've seen them somewhere else before but i can't remember and it's bugging me....

Anyone no anything about those lights?

Thanks,
Billy

Saw it tonight - saw a delrin canister on one diver (while snorkelling!) which didn't seem to have a lighthead attached! The handheld lights looked way oversize for "dramatic effect" - kinda like the monster flashlights on the X-Files.

Scubaroo,

Yeah i know what you mean about the effects things. They were not Halcyon lights, i've seen them in the field before though here is florida. If i could only....

I belive Anthony Rue (from Halcyon) posted something on the other forum and said that they were indeed H lights.

Scubaroo:
Saw it tonight - saw a delrin canister on one diver (while snorkelling!) which didn't seem to have a lighthead attached! The handheld lights looked way oversize for "dramatic effect" - kinda like the monster flashlights on the X-Files.

In re. the X-Files lights, no exaggeration for dramatic effect involved. CurrentCorp. MaxaBeams. Fairly standard issue for lots of LE/rescue type teams. Focusable with one hand, pack on-board or on-cord, many applicable accessories, etc.; very handy.

Within the story, Jared and his buddy were both using Helios 4.5 and Helios 9 lights in several shots-- including the goofy section where the lawyer character free-dives through plane with the Helios strapped to a weight belt and slung behind his back. There's a still from that scene used in the Scuba Diving article, and you can see him using the light to look into the window of the plane. They also had an Apollo HMI for use in the production. I'm guessing that the prop department put the HMI canister and lighthead in the big hand-held box and then made the oversized cowling over the light head.

best,

Anthony
true@halcyon

Back
Top Bottom