Into the Void....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that most people would be apprehensive about diving into the dark at frist. Just take it easy and as mentioned above only dive where you can see the bottom or reef as reference and get a good light.

When we dive we, although we do not dwell on it, overcome phobias. Fear of drowning and fear of the unknown. Adding another phobia of the dark does not help.

Not to say that they are phobias so to speak but they are definitely something that most people would apprehensive about or they would not be human.

Take it easy and slow. You will be alright!

I ended up doing a fairly dark dive without a light, due to my being an idiot. Pretty clear vis at 80', but there was a layer of pea soup from 0-20, so the bottom was quite dark.

I wouldn't recommend doing this, but it was actually pretty neat. We were in shale beds, which made a sort of eerie neat twilight zone landscape, and the entire bottom was COVERED with spiny brittle stars interspersed with sand roses, and then the shale rose, in about 6 inch steps, from the sand with little night creatures hiding in it. The other divers (who were smart and had lights) provided a backlit atmosphere, but I didn't feel spooked at all.

Even when I can't see at all, because I have been in zero vis, my main concern is navigation, which I'm getting better at. At first it was creepy, but now it's just annoying. The first night dive I did was pretty freaky, but it was also a lot of fun. At first you're kind of mammalian "I am so not supposed to be here", but once you get used to it, I don't find it any spookier than usual.

The first handful of night dives made me very nervous (in cold water with bouyancy control not completely nailed yet did not help.) For a few years I often wondered "why am I jumping off this perfectly good dock/boat in the dark?" but I got over it and once in the water it was always fine.

Back
Top Bottom