Intova edge and lens filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverGirl82

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used the new Edge both with and without the colored lens filters? You can white balance the camera but I'm wondering if that is enough or if I should get the filter. I'm going to Curacao next month and want to get the best images I can. I've only gotten to use the camera once so far and had mixed feelings about the results. Most of my video was good. Some of it was great. But most of my still shots were grainy. I'm a novice photographer so maybe I'm doing something wrong. It seemed that most of the grainy stuff was close ups so maybe I should try the macro lens as well? What color lens would be best in Curacao? I was thinking the red. I'm also using a SeaLife video light I already had. Any advice would be very appreciated. Can't wait for Curacao! 😀

---------- Post added October 19th, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

Oh yeah and another question. Can you put the macro lens or lens filters on while your underwater or would water get trapped behind them and ruin the image?

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]A number of different questions/situatios. Lets take them one at a time:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Typically no filter is needed for less than 20 feet of depth. The camera has an electronic red filter that works great for 20-50 feet. Below 50 feet use an external filter or light. Light is best but filters are an inexpensive and effective way to add warm color spectrum back into photos. The water washes these colors out and the deeper you go, the more the impact.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]For grainy photos it sounds like definitely you are too close to subject. The minimal focus distance is 3 feet, as a rule of thumb, one armlemgth. If you are shooting closer than that you will not get good results without a close up lens. That allows a few inches of distance.[/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks for the quick response. Sounds like I definitely want the macro lens. I like close ups of the little critters. ☺️ I'm going to my LDS later this week to check out prices. can you put the macro lens on while you're already under water or will water get trapped behind it and mess up the image? Thanks again.

can you put the macro lens on while you're already under water or will water get trapped behind it and mess up the image? Thanks again.

I am wondering the same thing: can we use the HD edge this way, flexibly on the same div,e as a macro or normal-lens camera?

Intova told me the close up lens is a "wet" lens. You don't put it on until after you are in the water. I take it on and off while diving depending on what subject I'm am videoing. Check out my YouTube channel; timothytech1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom