Intova Ultra Nova

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, to anyone in Australia who has this light, where did you get it from? I've been trying to find a shop that sells them without success. Im in Sydney

Gnatty, I purchased mine from Adreno.com.au, but had to get it sent back due to a malfunctioning tail switch.

Gnatty, I purchased mine from Adreno.com.au, but had to get it sent back due to a malfunctioning tail switch.

Thanks mate. I found a place near me (in Sydney) that can order it in for me.

How does this light compare to the Halcyon Scout LED or the Dorcy LED lights?

How does this light compare to the Halcyon Scout LED or the Dorcy LED lights?

I want to know as well. I have had Intova Wide beam and having Dorcy 220 now. Intova wide beam, despite all the positive reivew here, was disappointing to me. I switched to Dorcy 220, still not impressvie. Both brightness and beam quality are not as good as UK SL4 LED. The only reason I use Dorcy over SL4 is it fit into light socks. If the Ultra is anywhere close to SL4 LED, I will get one myself.

I have three Intova lights. The 220 "wide beam" is only good at night or in a really dark environment. The 220 Ultra Nova's narrow beam works great for daytime dives. Looking into holes in coral or under dark ledges even pointing out something to your dive buddy on a coral or in the sand like a slug or a moray. They have the same power but I consider the wider beam useless during the day!!

I want to know as well. I have had Intova Wide beam and having Dorcy 220 now. Intova wide beam, despite all the positive reivew here, was disappointing to me. I switched to Dorcy 220, still not impressvie. Both brightness and beam quality are not as good as UK SL4 LED. The only reason I use Dorcy over SL4 is it fit into light socks. If the Ultra is anywhere close to SL4 LED, I will get one myself.

The Ultra should be better than the UKSL4 eled as supplied by UK. If you have the older SK4 with the XR-E R2 mod that that's another story but it should be roughtly as good as that.

It's true that the Dorcy doesn't have the same Cree emiter (isn't Cree) as the SL4 mod or the Ultra but it shouldn't be that noticeable.

If you have the stock SL4 eled it's only 115 lumens or something like that vs 220 or so lumens for the others so I'm a little unclear as to why your Dorcy isn't better than your SL4.

By the way, the Ultra is about 1/2 in diameter wider than the Dorcy (because of all the (6) AA batteries) so it may not fit into your Light Sock without some modification.

The Ultra should be better than the UKSL4 eled as supplied by UK. If you have the older SK4 with the XR-E R2 mod that that's another story but it should be roughtly as good as that.

It's true that the Dorcy doesn't have the same Cree emiter (isn't Cree) as the SL4 mod or the Ultra but it shouldn't be that noticeable.

If you have the stock SL4 eled it's only 115 lumens or something like that vs 220 or so lumens for the others so I'm a little unclear as to why your Dorcy isn't better than your SL4.

By the way, the Ultra is about 1/2 in diameter wider than the Dorcy (because of all the (6) AA batteries) so it may not fit into your Light Sock without some modification.

Let me explain why I prefer SL4 over Dorcy. BTW, my SL4 is stock. 1) SL4 has better color. Next to each other, SL4 is whiter while Dorcy look slightly green. 2)SL4 has a noticeable brighter but smaller hot spot. The beam gradually and slowly fade out to a large side spill. Dorcy's hotsport is bigger, less bright and has more even brightness. But once outside of hotspot, the side spill die down very quickly. I will try to post some beam shot tonight.

Now, I dive mostly daytime in Monterey. Water viz is like 10-15ft average. The higher intensity hotspot of the SL4 is more useful here for signalling buddy, looking between rocks .... Dorcy's less intense and bigger hotspot is less effective. In night dive, the intensity of the Dorcy is good enough, but the side spill isn't as wide as the sL4. the whiter beam of SL4 also help to maintain better color in night dive too.

What I really want is a light with beam quality of the SL4 and in size of Dorcy, then I think I am set until I can afford a canister light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom