Intro level strobes: YS01 vs Bonica G8-B

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AceszHigh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm new to photography and strobes, but to me these two strobes seem the same, except a $250 price difference! I have a sony dsc w290 camera the Sony MPK-WEB housing ..looking at these two strobes (unless someone has a better suggestion in this price range):

Sea & Sea YS 01
Amazon.com: Sea and Sea YS-01 Strobe w/ Grip Stay-S: Sports & Outdoors

Bonica G8-B
Amazon.com: G8-B Underwater Flash for Compact cameras w/Arm & Tray: Sports & Outdoors

Can anyone shed some light as to why they are so differently priced? Or why the YS01 would be worth the extra 250?

If you really are looking to save money then you'll be interested in the Intova ISS4000 it is the same as the Bonica. I just picked up a pair of heads for $240 from Divers Supply But the price has gone from $120 to $180 each.

Thanks for the recommendation..looks good. Can someone explain why some strobes need (or include) the fiber optic cable and some don't? What is the use and benefit of it?

Can someone explain why some strobes need (or include) the fiber optic cable and some don't? What is the use and benefit of it?[/QUOTE:
Basically all flashes that use a light sensor to fire the flash can be used without the fiber optic cable.

Without the cable it will be harder to fire the flash and sometimes backscatter will be a problem.

With a cable you can block the internal flash totally, for example by taping up the housing. This means you can lower the power on the internal flash with less risk of the housing fogging up and longer camera battery life per charge. Also gets easier to control the amount of backscatter by angling the external flash properly.

Only problem with taping the housing is that if the external flash dies or if you remove it (for example when snorkelling) you are left without any flash at all.

Some newer housings got a block for the internal flash, a holder for the optocable and a diffuser for internal flash to get the best of both worlds.

These are very different technologies.

Sea and Sea strobes (in general) have a physically isolated battery compartment. A leak and the strobe can be saved. I don't know the other strobe, but most low cost strobes that get any kind of a leak are toast.

The other huge difference is that the YS-01 is a optical TTL strobe (meaning it can automatically provide the correct amount of light). The YS-2 is their manual version (and it is cheaper).

If you are shooting pictures in any form of auto, then the TTL is a great feature, if one shoots with the strobe and camera in manual, it is a waste of money.

One other thing, some low cost strobes are hard to get replacement o-rings for (or don't even use an o-ring, but a square ring). One should check that issue before buying any strobe.

The optical cable ends up being sort of a must have...as it allows far more accurate camera to flash light.

I make my own mount for the optical cable, from some double sided tape and a small block of rubber. If I want to use the camera without the strobe I just put back what was originally there.
I'm new to photography and strobes, but to me these two strobes seem the same, except a $250 price difference! I have a sony dsc w290 camera the Sony MPK-WEB housing ..looking at these two strobes (unless someone has a better suggestion in this price range):

Sea & Sea YS 01
Amazon.com: Sea and Sea YS-01 Strobe w/ Grip Stay-S: Sports & Outdoors

Bonica G8-B
Amazon.com: G8-B Underwater Flash for Compact cameras w/Arm & Tray: Sports & Outdoors

Can anyone shed some light as to why they are so differently priced? Or why the YS01 would be worth the extra 250?

The fiber optic slave cable fires the remote strobe using the camera's internal strobe as the signal to fire. Some companies charge enough for their product to include it others do not or they allow you to save a few dollars and give you the option to set up custom cables. As you may have guessed custom cables aren't very difficult to build and can be made from less costly fiberoptic audio cables. This allow you to customize the length, layout and attachment to your camera housing.
As for the o-ring on the battery compartment of the Intova ISS4000 it is a standard o-ring. The heads even come with a spare.

Is TTL technology worth it? Still trying to justify whether or not to shell out the extra couple hundred bucks for a sea&sea compared to the intova or bonica strobes...

Is TTL technology worth it? Still trying to justify whether or not to shell out the extra couple hundred bucks for a sea&sea compared to the intova or bonica strobes...

It may be if your camera can take advantage of it but you can still get excellent results without it.

This is what's going to happen.... The OP will purchase the less expensive strobe and will enjoy using it. For a while....
Soon the OP with realize that TTL is nice to have, as is a modeling light and a sealed battery compartment. Within a year the OP will decide the 430.00 isn't really that bad for a good strobe and will buy one.
It's happened to all of us at least once......

This is what's going to happen.... The OP will purchase the less expensive strobe and will enjoy using it. For a while....
Soon the OP with realize that TTL is nice to have, as is a modeling light and a sealed battery compartment. Within a year the OP will decide the 430.00 isn't really that bad for a good strobe and will buy one.
It's happened to all of us at least once......

I must be the exception then in 4 years of underwater photography I've flooded 1 camera and replaced it and decided on 2 strobes and then decided of more powerful strobes.
I've proven the proverb of it's not a matter of if you'll flood a camera, but when. Because of this although I'm a classically trained SLR user of 30 years on the surface. I prefer to use Point and shoot cameras while submerged.
Having an expensive outfit is not a requirement to taking good photographs. Knowing how to set what you have to get the most from that equipment will nearly always guarantee them. Going from good to great is training and talent. Getting to that point is a matter of experience and trial and error. The best equipment available will not help you get there it can only help you be more versatile in the conditions you can expect resonable quality shots.

Back
Top Bottom