Intro to Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax Teller

Reaction score
# of dives
I signed up for an intro to scuba class today. $45 that will go towards the $5 million price tag of the OW class, should I decide this is still for me. All I bring is my swim trunks and a towel. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time. I'm not afraid of the water nor have I ever had difficulty in it, but it has been years since I've been in a pool. That's the part that's making me anxious, even though I know it will come back to me like riding a bike.

The school seems good with my limited knowledge of scuba. It's a NAUI school that advertises free additional pool time as needed, which from my understanding from you people, is an uncommon practice.

The Minnesota Scuba Diving Store

"Our Training Guarantee

Smith Diving provides additional classroom & pool sessions at no charge for any student requiring more scuba experience to reach the necessary level of comfort and competence. *One extra pool refresher session is offered to all students prior to their open-water certification."

I don't have any questions for anyone; I'm just excited about scuba and bored at work. Due to this NSFW combination, I feel like talking about scuba, and I know no other divers. This is why you unlucky saps get to hear me babble. But I suppose babbling is better then waddling or that could depend on who you ask I guess.

My mind's wandering (if you couldn't tell) I should go do some of that boring stuff that allows me to collect a paycheck.

Relax, breathe deeply and go slowly . . . !!!

And WELCOME to SCUBABOARD and diving.

The Kraken

Jax, If you are anything like most of us, diving will be one of the best things you will ever learn and enjoy.

Jax... Welcome to the board. You can't find a better place online to get advice and learn from others. You will have a blast, as said previously, relax, breathe and enjoy... Oh yeah, don't think about the price of anything scuba related while in the water, your air consumption will shorten your bottom time dramatically... :)

Jax, good luck with everything. You found a good dive shop. I didn't get trained at Smith but I've purchased some gear and talked with Lee. If you're looking for more local information check out mnscuba.com. Most likely your dive will be in a pool but if you choose to do the training you'll probably end up in Square Lake. Here is a map showing the platforms set up for divers:

Northland Divers: Squar Lake Platforms GA

Jax-

Congratualtions on your first step. This is a smart way to find out whether you're comfortable breathing underwater, after which you can sign up for the full course.

Since a pool can't duplicate a real dive, take some time and watch an underwater documentary on your local PBS station. (Here in NY they're running a story about sea turtles this week) As you watch imagine yourself in the action, and remind yourself of what you're getting into. Later, if any aspect of your discover scuba course makes you uncomfortable you can think back to the video and reinforce your motivation.

They shouldn't have you do anything in deep water. It is just to see how you like breathing underwater. My brother in-law just did it under my recommendation and he loved it. He is looking forward to doing the OW.

I am sure that you will find it comfortable and cool. When you get the OW, you can play in the big pool with the rest of us where I am sure you will be welcomed!

Have fun!

They shouldn't have you do anything in deep water. It is just to see how you like breathing underwater. My brother in-law just did it under my recommendation and he loved it. He is looking forward to doing the OW.

I am sure that you will find it comfortable and cool. When you get the OW, you can play in the big pool with the rest of us where I am sure you will be welcomed!

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom