Introducing Aussie Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreckaddict

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but have been diving since '73. Did my first open water dive on SCUBA as a night dive after a day's spearfishing on the Great Barrier Reef out from Townsville in'73.

I had purchased an old Nemrod 72 steelie and second hand Nemrod Silver Snark 2 reg which I took on the trip, but at that time I had not done a course. In those days SPG's were not used and the tanks had a J valve which if left in the upright position could be used to give you a little bit more air when it got hard to breathe from your reg because of depletion of your air in the tank. You would pull down on the J valve lever to activate the "reserve". At that time you would head for the surface.

Also BC'S had not been invented and back-up regs were unheard of so diving was fairly basic compared to today's technology.

Anyway a few of us jumped in about 50 feet of water. We did have torches! I recall that my adrenaline was really up and I had an amazing dive while it lasted. However after about 20 minutes I had sucked that 72 dry but was relieved to find more air was available on activating the J valve lever! I quickly headed for the surface. Safety stops were also not heard of - just don't exceed the rate of ascent of the smallest exhaust bubble was all I knew. I was on a high though when I made it back to the boat.

I still have the old 72 which I have renovated and the Silver Snark 2 reg.

I now have done many technical courses etc and am qualified to TDI Trimix. I still dive regularly out of Cairns, Queensland, Australia where I live, but mainly from my own boat. I love diving wrecks and the many adventures and close friends that diving has brought me over the years. It is a passion with me that I believe has kept me young at heart and engenered in me a thirst to continue to learn new skills and advance my diving knowledge. I hope to continue to enjoy diving until well into old age. Some would say I have reached that already!

Anyway, cheers for now.

Gudday. I'm in Cairns too..... only having recently lost my dive virginity (interpret that however you wish!).

Where are your favorite sites to dive around here?

Do you know of any dive clubs?

Cheers.

G'day twatto,

There are many great dive sites out from Cairns.

I have my own boat so am able to acces all the local wrecks varying in depth from 39m to 57m. Also some great Reef dives which the cattle boats don't go to.

Having said that, there a number of good sites that operators such as Tusa and Deep Sea Divers Den go to that are pretty good.

There is a local dive club......Nautilus Scuba Club. It meets on the third Wednesday evening of the month at 7.30pm at the Marine Radio Club along McNamara Street.

Enjoy your diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom