Inverted twin cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Adams

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

At one time I was diving this method while on superlight, but more and more I'm seeing more British tech divers inverting there cylinders around for better control of there valves. The set-up uses your usual twinset with second stage directed neatly over the right shoulder, the direct feed over the left, contents gauge clipped to the bottom of the BC and your suit feed hose coming upwards under the right arm to the chest inflator valve. Other than the hard core GUE boys is any one else using this method.

Mr A

What was that someone said about Trolling in another post...

I glad to see things don't change around here...

Dave

Mr Adams:
Hi

At one time I was diving this method while on superlight, but more and more I'm seeing more British tech divers inverting there cylinders around for better control of there valves. The set-up uses your usual twinset with second stage directed neatly over the right shoulder, the direct feed over the left, contents gauge clipped to the bottom of the BC and your suit feed hose coming upwards under the right arm to the chest inflator valve. Other than the hard core GUE boys is any one else using this method.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Hi

Mr A

A few years back I heard about a gentleman in Toby diving with Inverted Doubles. He had had shoulder surgeries and could not do shutdowns behind his head. That is about the only guy I have ever heard of diving like that save bailout rigs for commercial guys.

One thing I have never saw was someone shut down their isolator like that. They would likely route a slobwinder up through their crotch and isolate like that.

Funny mental picture?????

I've been thinking of going to triple 72's (Just like Jacques), single post manifold with a jvalve so I can get rid of useless things like the pressure gauge also. I also switching to a heavy brass backplate with the dring welded on the side to assist to free clutter up on right side. I also plan on running everything over my shoulder to the left side inflator included so the right side could be free for stuff. Also straps to carry crow bars and wrecking hammers can be mounted in between the 72's just to make things easier to grab.

Obviously, the folks who say they have never (or almost so) seen this inverted doubles set-up don't travel to Europe and Scandinavia much. It's a very common set-up over there, boys and girls!

Cheers!

Tom R:
... single post manifold with a jvalve so I can get rid of useless things like the pressure gauge also...

The guys in EDU just received a boxful of those babies brand-new..... they were showing me......... :11:

This would be a neat way to have extra propulsion (limited by pressure). Just imagine that you need to get someplace really fast and just can't kick anymore. Well, have your buddy knock off one of the main valves of the tank and watch you go.

I have seen a couple of people that do the inverted tank and yes they were from on the "other" side of the pond.

if you go to uk.rec.scuba and poke around you may be directed to websites w/ pictures and lots of argument about this type of rig.

Other than the "It ain't done here" arguement, can someone post *both* the pros and the cons of using this configuration.

I see it having some potential benefits for reducing entanglements, ease of access to the valves and reducing the risk of whacking the valves against overhead environements. It may also remove the risk of "roll off"s. From a con point of view I can see issues in putting the gear on as sitting down may impact the valves.

I don't see myself changing but I'd like to know why people are still diving this configuration....

Ontario Diver:
From a con point of view I can see issues in putting the gear on as sitting down may impact the valves.

This is easy you just stand them on the manifold protection cage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom