Invitation to Explore a New Dive Resort in Lanao del Norte, Mindanao!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats! New dive site AND new dive resort is exciting! Goes without saying that a smooth and efficient dive operation will be crucial to the success of the resort, and it can be the most difficult aspect to iron out in terms of finding and retaining the right people for the respective jobs.

As someone who has been bouncing around from dive resort to dive resort, I'll share what I think are two important considerations:

Food
While most of us don't expect Michelin or 5-star resort level quality, we appreciate meals that are on our schedule and wont risk getting us sick.
  • Find a reliable chef that is both quick and flexible. I've almost missed my dive boat a few times due to slow kitchens.
  • Put together a pre-dive breakfast menu for morning divers (high protein, low carb). I sometimes have poor self-control and rather not be tempted by a stack of pancakes or french toast on the menu.
  • Prepare for meal service around your dive schedules. Some of us forgo eating (or eat very light) prior to diving so we are HUNGRY afterwards. Sync the kitchen staff with the dive guides. If you have a large group going out on a dive night, you can expect a second dinner rush when they return.
  • Kitchen sanitation and strict hygiene standards. Make sure the staff is aware of contamination and cross-contamination. Getting food poisoning during any trip sucks. Even moreso during a dive trip. Most of the food will likely be prepped and frozen/chilled beforehand. Ensure they labeled and dated, and rotated (disposed of) accordingly.
Check-in and check-out
Again, structured around the guest's diving schedule. If they are checking-in and diving the same morning, it's reasonable their room may not be ready when they arrive. But be sure it is after they finish, as we all want to get out of our suits and shower ASAP. If they are diving and checking out the same day, offer to let them check-out after the dive when possible.

Another recommendation, unrelated to guest experience, I would like to add is to get involved and integrate with the local community. As I've been visiting many SEA dive sites, there are always locals at the launch sites assisting with transporting and setting up gear. People travel from all over the world travel there to explore their underwater neighborhood, and I always felt it was somewhat a shame that most of them do not have the resources to experience it themselves. For when your business and budget permits, offer a discounted - or better yet free - discovery dive program for locals. Work with the local schools and develop a pathway program for students to become certified and beyond. Give them the opportunity to be our future dive guides at their own home. And give us guests the opportunity to aid in sponsoring the program.

Another recommendation, unrelated to guest experience, I would like to add is to get involved and integrate with the local community. As I've been visiting many SEA dive sites, there are always locals at the launch sites assisting with transporting and setting up gear. People travel from all over the world travel there to explore their underwater neighborhood, and I always felt it was somewhat a shame that most of them do not have the resources to experience it themselves. For when your business and budget permits, offer a discounted - or better yet free - discovery dive program for locals. Work with the local schools and develop a pathway program for students to become certified and beyond. Give them the opportunity to be our future dive guides at their own home. And give us guests the opportunity to aid in sponsoring the program.
This is excellent. I have a strong preference for local guides rather than expat guides. I find that almost always the local guides are better sometimes far better.

I would agree with the above. I don't typically need AC at resorts on the water, but it is always nice.

Good food, a mix of western and local.

A well lit place to work on and store my camera equipment that is at a minimum 3' x 3' with electrical outlets to charge lights etc. Storage underneath is a plus. A rinse tank for cameras only, with compressed air nearby is required. Have a look at NAD's camera room on Lembeh. Pretty much a perfect camera room.

The guides are critical. The fewer divers per guide the better. Guides that know the local waters and how to spot critters and enjoy doing it are your best asset. Far more important than anything else.

Diving not artificially time limited. i.e. no 50 min time limits. Larger tanks available and a reasonable cost, same with NITROX

Flexibility with solo divers.

I don't need "entertainment" but it is nice to have the option to do local excursions.

A spot in the resort to "hang out". I don't normally spend much time in my room, but do spend a fair amount of time talking to other divers in the community area in the resort. A place to relax between dives. Does not need to be fancy, but comfortable chairs are good.
These are really great suggestions! Thank you so much! Yes my diving instructor/local guide is currently mapping out the whole area around us so we will know exactly where to bring guests once we are up and running. If you ever come to Mindanao, Philippines, please look us up!

I agree with everyone's comment, just would emphasize the clean aspect of the accommodation, ex: no mold or dust is a must.

Breakfast hours compatible with the dive schedule would be nice (assuming there will be breakfast).

I would put some thought into activities/resources for the non-divers that are accompanying a diver on the trip.

Nice pictures btw! Keep us updated!
Awesome suggestion about having activities and resources for the non-divers. I am still learning so I am definitely one of those. There are majestic waterfalls, white water rafting, forests, and mountain hiking trails all around our resort so we will be sure to have a guide for these activities as well! Thanks for chiming in!

Congrats! New dive site AND new dive resort is exciting! Goes without saying that a smooth and efficient dive operation will be crucial to the success of the resort, and it can be the most difficult aspect to iron out in terms of finding and retaining the right people for the respective jobs.

As someone who has been bouncing around from dive resort to dive resort, I'll share what I think are two important considerations:

Food
While most of us don't expect Michelin or 5-star resort level quality, we appreciate meals that are on our schedule and wont risk getting us sick.
  • Find a reliable chef that is both quick and flexible. I've almost missed my dive boat a few times due to slow kitchens.
  • Put together a pre-dive breakfast menu for morning divers (high protein, low carb). I sometimes have poor self-control and rather not be tempted by a stack of pancakes or french toast on the menu.
  • Prepare for meal service around your dive schedules. Some of us forgo eating (or eat very light) prior to diving so we are HUNGRY afterwards. Sync the kitchen staff with the dive guides. If you have a large group going out on a dive night, you can expect a second dinner rush when they return.
  • Kitchen sanitation and strict hygiene standards. Make sure the staff is aware of contamination and cross-contamination. Getting food poisoning during any trip sucks. Even moreso during a dive trip. Most of the food will likely be prepped and frozen/chilled beforehand. Ensure they labeled and dated, and rotated (disposed of) accordingly.
Check-in and check-out
Again, structured around the guest's diving schedule. If they are checking-in and diving the same morning, it's reasonable their room may not be ready when they arrive. But be sure it is after they finish, as we all want to get out of our suits and shower ASAP. If they are diving and checking out the same day, offer to let them check-out after the dive when possible.

First of all, LOVE the name "the one who waits"...so mysterious...ha ha! What are you waiting for exactly may I ask?
And thank you so so much for the invaluable suggestions! My grandmother used to own the land we are building our dive resort on and my mom also grew up on this land. I went there as a kid before moving to the US. But since mom died and bequeathed the land to me and my siblings, I've been going back and forth every year and getting to know the locals. It was my friend, an American dive master/instructor who always wanted to run her own dive school/resort that suggested we use the land for this purpose. One of the things we are already doing is employing all the local people in the area who have always had great respect for my grandma and also my mom. They are excited for the job opportunities our resort will provide. We are also planning on hitting the colleges and schools to recruit young people to give discounted classes (free if we can) and then hiring them to be part of our staff and training them to become expert dive guides in the future. I LOVE that you suggested that we give guests the opportunity to aid in sponsoring this type of activity...maybe you could be one of the first! Ha ha! Seriously, I would be honored to host you personally and let you stay with us for free just so you can continue to give us more invaluable suggestions!

Unless you have world class macro diving and/or superlative open water dives, don't listen to the posts banging on about the importance of dedicated camera rooms and rinse tanks. Those kinds of divers won't be coming to your resort. I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer" but your location is waaaay off the beaten path, even for the Philippines. Most foreign divers seeing the results of a Google search of "Mindanao" will be dissuaded from going there. Even those, like me, who know and love the Philippines don't really put Mindanao on our diving itineraries. (Not because of the news but because so many already established locations.) If you want to know how to set up a dive shop operation, check out the "Critter Hunter" YT channel and Justin Carmack social media channels. Over the past year, he has documented his opening of his new dive shop in Dauin, Negros Oriental.

Don't forget about comfortable beds! I've been known to bring a self-inflating sleeping pad with me to a well known dive resort famous for good diving and hard-as-a-rock beds. A well-rested guest is a happy guest and a safer diver.

For me no luxery needed. Only cheap local food is ok. I only take local food most times when I travel to exotic places. This is better and if they try to make a pizza in a taco country, the pizza will not taste well :wink:

Further, 6 people per guide is a lot as already mentioned.
Options for solodivers or diving without guide would be nice too. I prefer sometimtes to dive solo and if I dive with a group, I will take my pictures, follow the group at a greater distance, so I don't get problems with unwanted bubbles on a picture.
Also no finishing of dives when the first drained its tank is important.
And of course the prices. I don't need luxery on boats. Friendlyness is important. Don't make your divecenter too big that it becomse crowded and unpersonal.

Is there a website? Best way to get there from Dumagete? You say March April 2024, I guess that is when you start operations. You need to show the facilities. I am going to that area next March 2025 and would consider exploring that area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom