IP creep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most regs should have zero creep after service. You might want to check on the specifications for your reg.and then have a talk with your tech. My Scubapro regs have zero creep after I service them or something is wrong.

I have 5-6 Zeagle Flathead VIs. After service, they creep at most <5 psi, and usually 0.

Sounds like yours just need a little tune up and you made the right call to get them serviced. :)

Hi elan,

Regarding how much creep is "ok" in your Flathead VI, here is what the repair manual states:

"The intermediate pressure reading may rise about 3 psi in the first three seconds after lock-up, but after that it should not rise more than another 4 psi (.3 bar) in five minutes."

I have two Flathead VI's, and have to say they may be my most stable first stages I own as far as being able to go for very long periods between services, and both have near-instant lockup and zero creep, at 3 and 5 years post-service.

I may just service the "5 year" Flathead fairly soon "just because" (the because is that I enjoy working on regs).... or I may just keep checking the IP and leave it alone :wink:

Best wishes.

An update. Did not have time to take it to the tech and decided to do it myself. The reg did not look perfect inside. Some orings looked quite worn out especially the one captured in the balance chamber. The reg had small rubber particles inside which I can guess could cause issues. Where they came from i have no idea. the seat looks good i see no dings or damage. Found tge service manual and according to it the reg was out of spec as people mentioned before.

Hi elan,

Regarding how much creep is "ok" in your Flathead VI, here is what the repair manual states:

"The intermediate pressure reading may rise about 3 psi in the first three seconds after lock-up, but after that it should not rise more than another 4 psi (.3 bar) in five minutes."

I have two Flathead VI's, and have to say they may be my most stable first stages I own as far as being able to go for very long periods between services, and both have near-instant lockup and zero creep, at 3 and 5 years post-service.

I may just service the "5 year" Flathead fairly soon "just because" (the because is that I enjoy working on regs).... or I may just keep checking the IP and leave it alone :wink:

Best wishes.

Hi LeadTurn_SD,

Wow 3-5 years is impressive. Mine did not seem to last that long :) The diafram was misalligned and the edge on one side of the diafragm was kind of "torn" and I think it might produce those rubber particles, donno.

Anyways I have rebuilt the reg today and the IP recovery became instantaneous and it creeps about couple of psi within 5 seconds and then locks completely which is within the spec mentioned in the manual. At least it was staying at the same level for the last half an hour so I hope there is nothing major :)

I will leave it pressurized overnight and will see what happens

Several years ago, I bought a new Envoy and noticed that it had a rather "mushy" lockup with a 4-5 psi creep before lockup. I called Jim Fox, Zeagle's reg guru, and he said this is perfectly normal. I was used to USD/AL regs which had a solid lockup, but the Zeagles "float" has not been a problem, since it does lock up solidly when it is ready.

What color was your HP seat?

It was white, was there a change of seats some time ? I remember I heard something about the colors . do you have more details ?

The reg was sitting whole night and the pressure stayed at 130psi dead. So it looks like it's fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom