iPhone in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpomerantz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this will start a firestorm but hopefully the posts will be helpful. For the past several years I had a Blackberry on Verizon and had great world service. Just switched to an iPhone on AT&T and am wondering if anyone has tried to use it in Coz. It seems that AT&T has an additional data plan I need to buy as well as the international roaming. I may just do the roaming and us ethe wireless link at my hotel as that if no charge and skip the data part.

:confused: Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?? Thanks.

I know this will start a firestorm but hopefully the posts will be helpful. For the past several years I had a Blackberry on Verizon and had great world service. Just switched to an iPhone on AT&T and am wondering if anyone has tried to use it in Coz. It seems that AT&T has an additional data plan I need to buy as well as the international roaming. I may just do the roaming and us ethe wireless link at my hotel as that if no charge and skip the data part.

Yes, iphones works in Cozumel with the ATT plan. My wife shuts off email delivery as she gets far too many emails and dont want to pay for the data transfer. We both use my laptop for email. My blackberry with ATT ends up charging me for data transfer even though I turn off my email as well but seems all the updates you get charged for if your phone is on. ATT told me if I turned my blackberry off I would not have the charges.

I used my iPhone very successfully and very expensively back in April. I had no problems with making or receiving calls and reading emails and data. The problem was the data roaming plan for a 4 night trip took a huge chunk out of my wallet in the form of $600-800. And I didn't even leave it on during the day while out diving.

Next trip I will leave Data Roaming off (in settings) and use the hotel WIFI for data access.

I used my iPhone very successfully and very expensively back in April. I had no problems with making or receiving calls and reading emails and data. The problem was the data roaming plan for a 4 night trip took a huge chunk out of my wallet in the form of $600-800. And I didn't even leave it on during the day while out diving.

Next trip I will leave Data Roaming off (in settings) and use the hotel WIFI for data access.

It sounds like you were taken by surprise. In my opinion, it seems you were treated unfairly for services supplied over 4 days as compared to the previous 4 days. Am I being naive here?:confused:

My wife has the iPhone and used it in Coz just with the free wifi services while having the international roaming turned off. Worked well with no additional charges. She wasn't making any phone calls but was e-mailing and web browsing.

We did the same thing that others have said--turned off data roaming and just left the phone on, using the hotel's free wi-fi when we needed a data connection. It worked fine with no excessive charges.

I'll add to the list of iPhone users that simply turns off the data roaming and uses the wi-fi ability to get email. I also have SKYPE on my phone, so I can make phone calls using wi-fi. It has worked in CZM, Mexico City and Lima Peru without any charges.

Are you going back??!!

We both have iphones :wink:

Becky...I think Jay has a bigger Coz problem than the rest of us.....soooo maybe we should do an intervention on him in Cozumel :D I can be packed in 5....

I would think you certainly could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom