Question Is a 20 year old regulator safe to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a new Mares Axis regulator 22 years ago that I only used while getting certified to dive. Never needed it again. I've kept it stored in my bedroom closet since. I had it serviced a few years ago to make sure it still worked and it was fine. It's still in "like new" condition. Would you be comfortable using it still? I'm actually trying to sell it and just realized how long I've had it and not sure I can sell a 20 year old regulator. :confused:

1699273653093.png
1699273724457.png

I am still using a Scubapro MK5 + R109 I purchased in 1976. My newest reg is a Mk10 manufactured in 1996.
If properly serviced a brass regulator lasts forever.
Also some "plastic" second stages last forever (for example old G250, specifically the carbon version is truly undestructible).
Other plastic second stages, instead, age badly and the plastic becomes fragile.
Your reg looks fine, and it was properly stored. I would service/inspect/test it, and then use it without any concern.

You can sell a 20 yo regulator. The questions: are parts still available for it and will anyone buy it?

...., age badly and the plastic becomes fragile.
I agree and would add that I wouldn't trust a 20 year old low or high pressure side hose which could have a hidden soft spot.

Reactions: L13
Like the human body the chronological age isn’t as important (parts availability notwithstanding) as the physical age. That is, what is the condition of the chrome plating on the high pressure side? Once the plating is breached the brass will develop pits that won’t stop. If seawater was left trapped in the reg during storage this can cause problems. Since you had it serviced (presumably competently) a few years ago it’s likely still fine. Lots of regs go 40 years or more if properly cared for.

Test it and use it. If it sat in the cool and dark its probably fine

Mine is older than 20 years. The only trouble I had from new, is it liked to come out of adjustment, but after the updated plastic seat it been perfect,

Its my backup on necklace, and the other one is on my 40cu stage.

They are an amazing reg, I have dove more expensive regs and I still like how this one breaths.

Mine has original hoses and hasn't been serviced for maybe 18-19 years,
works great. Been ice diving and all.

if you where closer I will properly dispose it for you:wink:

Only picture I have of it on my phone.
20230928_193102.jpg

Test it and use it. If it sat in the cool and dark its probably fine

Mine is older than 20 years. The only trouble I had from new, is it liked to come out of adjustment, but after the updated plastic seat it been perfect,

Its my backup on necklace, and the other one is on my 40cu stage.

They are an amazing reg, I have dove more expensive regs and I still like how this one breaths.

Mine has original hoses and hasn't been serviced for maybe 18-19 years,
works great. Been ice diving and all.

if you where closer I will properly dispose it for you:wink:

Only picture I have of it on my phone.
View attachment 809406
The original hose fitting looks like a Home Depot solution.

The Axis was a high quality mid-range second stage when new. It had one design issue leading to freeflows which was fixed under warranty by replacing a couple of parts. The upgrade would have been done the first time you got it serviced after the fix came out in 2003.

Service kits are still available. The part number is 46200296 (46200297 with Viton o-rings). The later (and still stocked in some countries) Prestige and Rover second stages also use this kit, so it will be around for a long time. Other internal parts like the diaphragm and poppet are also available.

Non-service parts like faceplates are going to be hard to find, but this reg doesn't have any known problems with parts breakage.

I can't clearly see the first stage, but it appears to be an MR12. All service parts are available for that as well.

If someone will buy it, you can definitely sell it. The buyer should plan on having it serviced, and it appears that service kits are still available.

I've got 4 sets of regulators at my house. One is not in use, and I don't believe it's serviceable anymore. That one was purchased in 1997. The other three are still in use, and actually use the exact same service kit, despite the difference in age. One was purchased in 2003 or 2004, one was purchased in 2015, and one in 2019. Age is not the only factor.

I bought a new Mares Axis regulator 22 years ago ... Would you be comfortable using it still?
My first reg is a Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable (chromed brass), purchased new in 1987, and my second is a Scubapro Mk 10 + G250 (plastic with chromed brass tube), purchased new in 1988. I still use both. No problem whatsoever.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom