"Is a BP/W too confusing for new divers?" and related topics...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, as a new diver with all sorts of aspirations do not buy a big wing thinking it will serve you well. Get something suited for your singles. IF you ever do make it to doubles you will probably want a dedicated rig anyhow.

Pete

Actually, one of the main advantages of a BP/W is that you don't change what works well when you go from singles to doubles. All you change is the wing. All of the personalized, optimized details of the rig stay the same.

I dive manifolded 119s at home, and I have my backplate and webbing set up just like I like it. I'm going to Bermuda tomorrow, so all I do is take the singles wing instead of the doubles wing (and an single tank adapter, although you don't necessarily need that), and when I dive an aluminum 80 this weekend, everything will be right where I left it.

I dive manifolded 119s at home, and I have my backplate and webbing set up just like I like it. I'm going to Bermuda tomorrow... when I dive an aluminum 80 this weekend,

Dive the same rig here in NJ. When I go on vacation and dive an AL80 I feel like I'm naked. I stand up on a boat in Bonaire or something and I almost fly over the side I'm so used to needed to power myself up and into a standing position!

Actually, one of the main advantages of a BP/W is that you don't change what works well when you go from singles to doubles. All you change is the wing. All of the personalized, optimized details of the rig stay the same.

I assumed he meant wing. There's no point in having multiple backplate/harness setups (in my mind) unless you have an allu plate with your harness set for your warm water exposure protection and a SS bp/harness setup weaved for your big, thick drysuit undergarments.

About feeling naked, I've been diving cave setup and sidemount exclusively for six months. I'm afraid of what a back-mounted single ally will do to me!

Well, while I have not done doubles nor do I have a doubles rig I have known and read enough to say there are least 2 camps on having multiple rigs. To each his own. Thank you for broadening the perspective.

In any case my main point of specific wings stands.

Pete

spectrum, I understand and agree. Regardless of quantity of webbing/backplate combos......you need one wing for singles and another wing for doubles.

in those classes that teach good buoyancy, trim and propulsion techniques, how much time is spent on those skills?

The OW class we teach through the LDS has nine hours of pool time, spread over six sessions. With the exception of the first one, in which much time is spent on swimming, snorkeling and free-diving, our pool sessions consist of having the students swim around the pool in buddy pairs. From time to time, Peter will take a buddy pair off to one side to demonstrate skills to him. Any skills the student has demonstrated to Peter are fair game for the rest of us CAs to request during the free swimming time.

So I guess I would say that 90% or more of our pool time is spent on neutral buoyancy, trim and propulsion . . .

On another topic, I own a jacket BC. I use it in the pool. I have no more difficulty achieving neutral buoyancy and good trim in it than I did in my backplates. It took a bit of experimentation with weighting, tank position, and fin choice to get it perfect, but it was doable. (It took the same kind of experimentation with my backplate setups.) If the gear fits you reasonably well, and you are properly weighted, and you have placed those weights correctly and are utilizing the right posture and the right fins, it's possible to trim out in almost anything.

I don't LIKE the jacket BC for a whole raft of reasons, including the fact that it doesn't hold a tank as stable as a backplate does, that it has all kinds of crud on the front of me, and that I need a chest strap that it doesn't have to keep the shoulder straps from sliding off my shoulders. I dislike the placement and paucity of attachment points. But I use it in the pool so I look like the students, and I will definitely say that I can trim out in it.

You guys are crazy for critizing students out of OW looking like this. If they deserve -1 for this and -1 for that, the 99% of the OW or even AOW out there is like -100,000. Good job to the instructors. :)

...harsh criticism now will make them manly enough to handle the Andrea Doria AOW check out dives next weekend !

Off topic.
In a few yrs time the title might change to "Is SM too confusing...". And I wonder which living member of Monty Python or Fawlty Tower would get a mention?

Off topic.
In a few yrs time the title might change to "Is SM too confusing...". And I wonder which living member of Monty Python or Fawlty Tower would get a mention?

Terry Gilliam: Only your King can dive side mount...
Michael Palin: Oh, there we go! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help, I'm being repressed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom