Is a reef hook needed for Galapagos photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

becky_scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All.
My friends and I are diving in Galapagos this June. We are doing photography on every dive and are wondering if a reef hook should be purchased?
Thanks,
Becky

Becky-

If you are going to use the powershot that you mentioned in the other thread, I would say you don't need it. The currents can be strong, but I think you will find yourself wanting to move around too much and it would get in the way. There were a couple of people using the reef hook on our trip, but they were not actually taking pictures. There were a couple of times I would have liked one with my set up (its pretty big and in current really acts like a sail), but got by just fine without it. Does that help?

Hi there.
Thanks for the advice. You mentioned that a couple of people who were not taking pictures used a reef hook-was it just mostly to stay put in one place where the current was strong? I was told that on one of the islands....can't remember if it was Wolf or Dawin....there would be strong current and to watch the hammerheads you have to duck behind some rocks and hang on. My friend is going to possibly buy a videocamera in addition to her camera.....would you recommend it for that? Or perhaps the better question is, what do you recommend the reef hook for?
Thanks,
Becky

Truth is I wouldn't reccommend one. There were a couple of times when I just got tired of latching onto the rocks and would have enjoyed having both hands free for camera work. But you absolutely do not need one. There is some coral in the Galapagos, but most of your diving at wolf and Darwin will involve rocketing to the bottom and finding a good place sheltered out of the current, hang on and watch the show. The current is indeed ripping. A good pair of gloves is an absolutely must. Reef hooks are cheap and light. Take one with you and you might want to use it. If not, no harm no foul. Have a great trip.

It is always nice to have your own reef hook with you on any dive where there is a current.

In some locations, you will be drift diving. In other locations, you will be clinging to the rocks. A reef hook does the clinging for you, and leaves your hands free for photography.

When I was there I found that you could lie on your stomach, head-in to current, and take shots to the side. The bottom on Wolf and Darwin allows this (in between the Green Morays) and no damage need be caused to any coral outcroppings.

The Hammerheads will circle you at about 3m distance, no closer, if you get away from your dive group. I did not use gloves.

Have seen reef hooks, mainly by Americans in Palau, and they can be an asset if used properly. But as one poster has already said, if you want to move location every couple of minutes a hook may get in the way.

My point is that a reef hook is purely optional, not a necessity.

Seadeuce

Have seen reef hooks, mainly by Americans in Palau, and they can be an asset if used properly. But as one poster has already said, if you want to move location every couple of minutes a hook may get in the way.
Seadeuce

mainly Americans? I think I've seen every nationality use them in Palau...

It's not that hard to unhook, move and rehook. Just make sure you take up all the line slack so you don't snag any coral along the way.

Does anyone know where I could find a video or something showing me how a reef hook is used?

Becky, here'a a pic of reef hooks in use on Blue Corner, Palau. Pretty straight forward. One end will have clip, a line maybe 2m long, and a metal hook on the other end. I forget what the exact term is called, but there is a way you can braid the line so it gets shortened for storage, but will fully extend once you unclip it to use.

I prefer to place the hook first, then slowly let out the line before attaching to my BCD. You might also want to put just a little air in your BCD once you're all hooked in so that you stay off the reef. Just a little. Not so much that if the hook came off you went into an uncontrolled ascent! :wink:

Either put it on one of your shoulder D rings or as some people prefer, loop it around both your chest D rings and then clip off the reef hook line. But be warned that this may pose problems for a quick a release... If you use a backplate, use can use the crotch strap but I find it's a bit unstable this way as it's low.

Oh, and do take care on where you hook in. Try to find a barren spot.

1483942155_7047f762e1_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom