Is a Zeagle BCD all that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Being new to the diving world and attempting to make the right BCD purchase I found this website. I've done a lot of reading from this site and a lot of people sing the praises of Zeagle and back flotation Are they truly the way to go?

I'm not sure if I should go vest type or Zeagle type. I think I'm more interested in the Zeagle as it will grow with my skill level more the a vest, thus a much better purchase. But there are so many brands and choices can anyone help this o'll boy out?

Are the back floatation BCD's difficult to get the hang of or is the learning curve pretty quick? Thanks again!

Aaron

The Zeagle Brigade or Zeagle Stilletto are both stable, packable, dependable, and so on.

A back inflate is not difficult to use, and feels much less restrictive, compared to a vest style BC. You will use a Zeagle for years.

Welcome to diving. Around Florida, it seems like half the divers use a Zeagle Ranger BC. That says something about the product. My daughter used an Aqua-lung back inflate BC, right from the start with no problems. Still using it, too.

Vest is OK. I've been using a Sherwood vest, mainly becuase it was on sale dirt cheap.

I dive with a group that has about every kind of BC, and nobody seems to be at an advantage or disadvantage. There are specialty dives requiring two cylinders, and not all BC's handle those, but that's not what most of us do around here.

Learning and growing as a diver is more about what you do, rather than what you buy.

Have fun with it.

I honestly don't think there is any difference in the learning curve time between a back-inflate type BC and a jacket. You'll get the hang of either one before your first dive is over. A lot of it is personal preference; you'll hear all about it on this Board. I'm surprised no one has told you yet that both a jacket and back-inflate type are worthless, and the only way to go is backplate and wing, or BP/W.

Personally, I dive a Zeagle Brigade and love it, and feel no need to try anything else. BTW, I learned diving a jacket type, and the learning curve upon changing to the Zeagle was, literally, a couple of minutes.

There are not big issues learning to dive a back inflate and many (most?) who try some form of back inflate prefer them to jacket style BC's. Zeagle is a brand of BC that only makes back inflate type. There are several quality manufactures of back inflate BCs but you will not find a BC of better quality or that provides better customer care that Zeagle. Unless you intend to go into some serious tech diving....IMO not a good idea until you spend some time diving, most any BC will be fine from a "grow with you" stand point. The diver makes the BC perform, not the other way around.

My wife and I both have Rangers great BC in terms of construction and quality. Make sure you try the weight release system and then rethread it (On Dry land!) it will help if you understand how it works.
Edit:
You can change the shoulder straps they sell differnet sizes.

I tried a few BC's by other manufacturers and I wasn't impressed with the 1 tank strap and the jacket type inflation. I forget the brands that I tried.

Edit:
If you are diving warm water tropical etc... (no cold water Thick wetsuit/drysuit) you may want to try one of these since the 44lbs of lift is bulky in the Ranger.

Zeagle Scout BCD , BCDS: Women, Zeagle, Zeagle Scout BCD

I'd add the Zeagle Brigade, essentially a Zeagle Ranger with a lighter wing, as a possibility. It's only available from Scuba Toys, one of the best (by popular vote on this Board, if you were to analyze it) dive shops out there.

I think my Zeagle Ranger is the best BCD made. Lots of people agree with me.

As for back inflate, you get used to it on your first dive. Weight integrated makes all the difference in the world when you're diving with 20+ lbs of lead.

In more tropical waters, the ranger is overkill, but it's what I use. A Brigade is probably best if you don't need all that lift.

I too am looking to buy a newer bcd. I heard that those back inflate bcd when inflated push your head toward the water or is that for someone who just inflates it all the way?:no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom