Is an PCa lite suitable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EddieB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Am going on a liveaboard trip to Southern Egypt in the New Year. Want to take a small dive torch to use on night dives. I don't want a big torch as I'm unlikely to get much use out of it due to the weight in my backpack on future dive trips. I plan to only use it in the tropics.

Is an Ikelite PCa lite going to be suitable? I want a light that uses AA batteries.

Any advice would be great. Cheers!

Works great for me on relatively clear water dives.

It's a 7.2W light, a bit on the low side, but the bulb is driven prettty hard and therefore puts out a lot of light.... more than enough for me.

I use NiMH batteries and bring a small, lightweight charger, since the battery life is only about 2 hours.

Make sure you have a backup light. The 4AA Q40 light is my preference. Not great as a primary light because of the tight beam, but that same tight beam is good for signalling a boat or your buddy.

Charlie

edit: Both the PCa and the PC Lite are 7.2W bulbs in what appears to be the same reflector housing.

EddieB:
Hi

Am going on a liveaboard trip to Southern Egypt in the New Year. Want to take a small dive torch to use on night dives. I don't want a big torch as I'm unlikely to get much use out of it due to the weight in my backpack on future dive trips. I plan to only use it in the tropics.

Is an Ikelite PCa lite going to be suitable? I want a light that uses AA batteries.

Hey, I have an Ikelite PC Lite, that uses 4 C batteries. It only weighs a pound or so, and it's bright as hell....I do night dives with only that light, and it works fine. You aren't going to get tonnes of light, but it does the trick. Hope that helps!

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Charlie99:
Works great for me on relatively clear water dives.

It's a 7.2W light, a bit on the low side, but the bulb is driven prettty hard and therefore puts out a lot of light.... more than enough for me.

I use NiMH batteries and bring a small, lightweight charger, since the battery life is only about 2 hours.

Make sure you have a backup light. The 4AA Q40 light is my preference. Not great as a primary light because of the tight beam, but that same tight beam is good for signalling a boat or your buddy.

Charlie

edit: Both the PCa and the PC Lite are 7.2W bulbs in what appears to be the same reflector housing.

I'd advise against using rechargable batteries in this light, because of the way it's built. The light head isn't a screw-on type, but is rather held on by a sliding "lock" mechanism. Rechargable batteries offgas, and the pressure that builds up inside the housing can be just enough to push the head out away from the sealing o-ring and let a little water seep into the battery compartment. Once the water reaches the batteries it will literally blow the light head off the housing.

Had this happen to me once already.

Nice light, but I'd recommend using conventional batteries with it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I did a live-a-board around Saba/St Kitts and I used a PCa as my primary night light. I took a big D-8, but I never even got it wet. It was a waste of space and weight with all the batteries. The PCa is bright enough at night but small enough to take during the day to peek into holes.
Just take lots of batteries. A PCa goes through batteries pretty quick.

Thanks for all the advice folks

EddieB:
Hi

I have had a great experience with the PC Lite. It is small but it provides a small, penetrating beam with good power. Nothing beats a crazy canister light but for modest purposes and cost I really like the PC Lite.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom