Is anyone diving any of these???????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jptrealty

Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious to see if anyone has and dives any of the following (and if so any feedback)?

AURA or the FROG or how about the Cocran unit??

Did these even exist?

What happened to the infineto unit ??

OK,
This information is only good until Stefan pops in a blows me away with the exact- Historical stuff.

FROG- Is the only active working unit. Web- http://www.frogdiver.com/
I saw one last year at DEMA and was mildly impressed. However, very few people dive them to date that I am aware of. Most people go with the KISS system instead.

Aura- The last I heard it was purchased buy a business in Boston (or area) and they were developing it into a special "High end" system for specific scientific diving. However to date I have nothing more on that front. Very nice design taken off of the MK15.5.

Cochran- This was developed but never materialized for actual sale. At that time Cochran had all kinds of problems and ditched the project. You would now recognize the unit as a PRISM rebreather. Peter actually did the work for Cochran but things did not work out.

infineto- THe person to ask about this is Joe R. he has done dives on the unit and is aware of activity of the unit. It seems that it sold to certain Military groups but never made the open marketplace. Again Joe has those details.

So, the only one that exists in any format is the PRISM! :D
Not like I am biased??? HEHEHEHE

Andrew

jptrealty:
Just curious to see if anyone has and dives any of the following (and if so any feedback)?

AURA or the FROG or how about the Cocran unit??

Did these even exist?
What happened to the infineto unit ??

Crazyduck:
This information is only good until Stefan pops in a blows me away with the exact- Historical stuff.
Now why would I do such a thing? :11:

FROG-
The Frog is indeed in production, and the unit that was shown at DEMA is covered on Rebreather Worldwide . It's an SCR with a needle valve and the option of two O2 sensors. The company promotes using it as a CCR with dil addition through the ADV and O2 addition by manually opening and closing the O2 tank valve. Certifying agency is some unknown outfit in Florida.

2116.jpg

Aura
The CCR 2000 is an on again off again propsition. The old website is still up, but afaik the unit isn't currently in production and hasn't been for two or three years. Some guy here locally has a bunch of those junk heaps, at least that's how I see them. No secondary display whatsoever! Instead when the electronics fail the unit is supposed to run automatically at 0.7 ata setpoint and you're supposed to trust it. Quite big, very heavy metal cannister, pita spheres ... they took the worst of the MK15 and made it worse.

displayimage.php

Cochran-
Andrew is correct, Pete was involved with Cochran for a while. Didn't work out, and Cochran showed rigs at dive shows for years. Last time I saw it was 2002 or 2003. The picture by Wes Skiles below is a decade old and was shot in Florida, there are a couple more on Steam Machine's website.

95-19ws2CaveDvrs.jpg

Infineto-
The big mystery rig ... the company was supposedly busy building them for a military, but some rumors say they never filled the contract. Who knows ... my guess in regards to the civilian market: vaporware.

I just remembered some joker coming onto the forum praising the new CCR2000
(AURA) as the ultimate rebreather, with a 1,200+ fsw record attempt planned. :D
Searched for and found the CCR2000 thread.
Sometime last year, we had some fun. Andrew, you'll enjoy that one I'm sure. :wink:

caveseeker7:

I know better its that Geman hardwiring- I am just jealous!
Well, thats my online statement- :D

FROG-
The Frog is indeed in production, and the unit that was shown at DEMA is covered on. It's an SCR with a needle valve and the option of two O2 sensors. The company promotes using it as a CCR with dil addition through the ADV and O2 addition by manually opening and closing the O2 tank valve. Certifying agency is some unknown outfit in Florida.

(I always thought that this was like bagging you a rebreather- check out there scubber. hehehehe)

Aura

extra charater- as required by software
The CCR 2000 is an on again off again propsition. The old website is still up, but afaik the unit isn't currently in production and hasn't been for two or three years. Some guy here locally has a bunch of those junk heaps, at least that's how I see them. No secondary display whatsoever! Instead when the electronics fail the unit is supposed to run automatically at 0.7 ata setpoint and you're supposed to trust it. Quite big, very heavy metal cannister, pita spheres ... they took the worst of the MK15 and made it worse.

I like the way it looked but that was about it.

Infineto-
The big mystery rig ... the company was supposedly busy building them for a military, but some rumors say they never filled the contract. Who knows ... my guess in regards to the civilian market: vaporware.

I think that you are being nice!

extra charater

caveseeker7:

FROG-
The Frog is indeed in production, and the unit that was shown at DEMA is covered on Rebreather Worldwide . It's an SCR with a needle valve and the option of two O2 sensors. The company promotes using it as a CCR with dil addition through the ADV and O2 addition by manually opening and closing the O2 tank valve. Certifying agency is some unknown outfit in Florida.

2116.jpg

Aura

displayimage.php

Cochran-
Andrew is correct, Pete was involved with Cochran for a while. Didn't work out, and Cochran showed rigs at dive shows for years. Last time I saw it was 2002 or 2003. The picture by Wes Skiles below is a decade old and was shot in Florida, there are a couple more on Steam Machine's website.

95-19ws2CaveDvrs.jpg

Infineto-

The company promotes using it as a CCR with dil addition through the ADV and O2 addition by manually opening and closing the O2 tank valve

for real??? LOL, by the way that was a very nice fact based slam of that CCR2000 idiot.

jptrealty:
The company promotes using it as a CCR with dil addition through the ADV and O2
addition by manually opening and closing the O2 tank valve for real???
Yes. Caught me by suprise, too. Asked twice at the show and made a follow up by
phone afterwards. Wanted to be sure they actually weren't kidding or intoxicated.
They keep insisting that's a way to go ... and I still don't agree it's a good idea.

bruehlt:
Frog - disposable scrubber??! ***??
Yes, the original idea was disposable pre-packed cannisters.
That's the difference between the Frog's and Micropore's cartridges.
The Frog's are filled with grannular absorbant. Expensive and wastefull
with less advantages than the ExtendAir cartridges.
So upon customer request Lambertsen started offering refillable cartridges, too.
If you follow the Frog link that I posted you can see a picture of it.

Back
Top Bottom