Is anyone ICE DIVING this winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the fun in ice diving seriously?? Any big animals or is it just the thrill of risking your life??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the fun in ice diving seriously?? Any big animals or is it just the thrill of risking your life??

If you do it right then you are really not risking your life. The Ice-formations are really breath-taking from below. Furthermore Ice Diving opens up a lot of places for exploration. I would like to dive in Greenland and upper St Lawrence etc where dive boats are not available. When the place is frozen up then all you need is a chain saw and you can dive some really awesome spots. Big animals are also possible depending on where you ice dive.

"Risking your life" is pretty subjective. Yes it is an overhead situation but it is a pretty controlled situation with direct access to the egress. Contrast that to being in a cave or wreck.

There are cold water issues but they are only a a little more severe than what a cold water diver is dealing with in open winter water.

It certainly turns the adventure factor up a notch. It's a lot of work so you need to want to be out there to play.

For many (self included) it;s a "been there done that got the T-Shirt" undertaking. I'd do it again with the right motivation and circumstances but in general the investment in time and effort doesn't work for me. Also after a few years of winter diving I set it aside for other hobbies that I was missing out on.

Pete

Why take your life in your hands by scuba diving? Aren't there aquariums?

Granted omission,, I was just wanting to know the attraction wasn't trying to take the piss :)

What is the fun in ice diving seriously?? ...//...

Ice diving is something you just have to try before it can be properly appreciated. It also has to be done with people who know how to do it. I love to go buoyant, invert and use my ice picks to just fly across the ice from the bottom. Mind-blowing if it is black ice and people are above you. The fun of ice diving is usually found in one of two things, privileged access to a serene area or fun at the surface. Ice isn't flat underneath and your breath looks like pools of mercury. Most agree that it is a memorable experience the first time they try it.

All ice diving standards require tethered diving - there is no non-tethered option.

Well aware, probably didn't word my post clearly.

... The rescue diver is separately tethered.

Yes, and at the ready with his/her tender.

... How the tethers are used varies- they can be split lines or single line - up to three divers per line.

Since I like to invert and use ice picks, I strongly prefer a hands-free single attachment at the solar plexus. Obviously only one diver on a line. Have all my own ice gear, just need the rest of the team and a place to play.

... There is a lot of debate about the type of rope to use so that will yield some controversy.

Polypropylene, it floats and that is usually what I'm doing too. Maybe not so good for multiple divers on a line.

Thanks, good answers.

As a former ice diving instructor - it can be fun. Most regular folks get the certification and never try it again.

If I were thinking of doing it I might ask some questions first -

1. Do I have the right gear for it? Drysuit, non-freezing regs are useful. Rebreathers even better.

2. Am I willing to drive the many miles up North to try it. Canada, Upstate NY, New Hampshire etc are some common staging areas. AWD very helpful when there is snow on the ground. Feb/March are optimal months for thick ice.

As a guy who used to dive in Arctic regions - ice diving hones your skills in many area. Mainly how to operate well wearing restrictive gear. Do it for fun is a very different story than doing it for the job. The latter can be "not so much fun" after a while...especially if you've been doing it for decades.

With all the HOT water (and hurricane surge) we've been experiencing here in SoCal this summer, I kind wish someone would tow an iceberg or two into our waters... but no thanks on having to cut a hole in an ice covered lake! Brrr. My "holy" wetsuits wouldn't tolerate it.

Back
Top Bottom