Is basic navigation taught in OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't remember from my class. But this is a big pet peeve of mine. The last few insta buddies I have had didn't even have a compass. Yesterday I dove a wreck in the Gulf and the viz was limited with a decent current.

Niether one of us have been on this wreck and it was not intact. Basically several piles of debris. The first thing I do is always take compass readings. Our plan called for us to start back up the line at 1k psi. We worked or way around the wreck and when it was time to head to the line my buddy thought it was the opposite way. If we were somehow seperated he would have had to do a free ascent from roughly 90'. With the amount of current I can't imagine where he would have ended up but it wouldn't have been anywhere near the boat.

Maybe it's just been my luck but it seems that this necessary skill is lacking in new divers. It's so simple to do and absolutely necessary in my opinion. I don't mean to sound preachy but it's not even navigation its simply knowing where in the hell you are!

So back to the original question. Is this taught in OW?

It was in my class. It was an introduction to navigation. But we were taught the basics and practiced reciprocal headings during one of the certification dives. I would have to drag my OW book out but I know there is a section in it.

Not in mine. Common sense worked though.

Pete

It is taught in OW according to standards.

What's this compass you speak of? :)
If we went diving together, there's a good chance I wouldn't have a compass either. By good chance: I'm certain I wouldn't bring one. I don't even know where mine is. I haven't used it in almost two decades.

It is taught in OW according to standards.

What's this compass you speak of? :)
If we went diving together, there's a good chance I wouldn't have a compass either. By good chance: I'm certain I wouldn't bring one. I don't even know where mine is. I haven't used it in almost two decades.

If you have an internal compass that works then fine by me! I can turn around twice and get lost.

I pretty much never dive without a compass. Essential tool for me when diving in the ocean. Often it does not take a huge amount of skill to make good use of a compass. If the bottom current does not change direction, I pretty much figure out the current direction, and then orient off of that. Of course this is generalization, since currents can change and tidal flow may reverse things, but in many locations.. it is good enough for rough navigation

Unfortunately, it's pretty rare for me to dive something in OW for the first time. I've dove the crap out of the Key's. I can pretty much recognize where the boat it from where I'm at on most of the wrecks or reefs. It also helps that most of the time the visibility is such that I can see the boat from 200' away.

And of course, no compass needed in cave diving where 99% of my dives are conducted.

In a PADI OW class both surface compass navigation and UW compass navigation is introduced and evaluated. It is, however, very basic.

In your particular case, within the PADI system, an OW diver would be diving "beyond his training" by going to 90 feet. That dive would be an "Advanced OW" dive (greater than 60 feet) and the AOW does have a specific UW navigation section/dive which would cover the issue you found.

There are no scuba police and divers do what they want.

As stated, yes students are taught "basic" navigation. What they do with that knowledge is up to them.

What one is taught during instruction and what one does once they complete their instruction are not always the same. As Peter said, there are no scuba police.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom