Is Blue Hole dive worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definition of INFAMOUS

: having a reputation of the worst kind : notoriously evil <an infamous traitor>
: causing or bringing infamy : disgraceful <an infamous crime>
: convicted of an offense bringing infamy

I wouldn't dive in any place that was "infamous" nor would I chuck down $240 bucks for lack of a better term "bounce dive". It's dark, cold, deep and usually lousy vis. Spend your money on a few more wall dives

Reactions: Doc
Intermediate diver. Have my AOW. And about 70 dives. From the comments it sounds like the day as a whole is worth it - my package would include two additional dives plus a bbq lunch on one of the islands, even if the BH itself isn't spectacular. I enjoy marine life but also wrecks and caverns so thinking may be worth a try.

Worth it for the very reasons you've listed. The day as a whole is well worth it. The BH by itself, not so much.

This question comes up here more often than any other, so you might want to do some scrolling.

Also, there's an interesting current Blue Hole thread over on Near Misses/Lessons Learned. It seems a young man was breathing off his guide's octo on the descent--yikes! Here's the thread: Great Hole Business As Usual.

To the Mod: if you're going to do a sticky, and if you have the time, you should go back a year or two and sticky the thread that ran on quite a few pages of debate on this subject. Pretty much everything was covered in that thread that could be covered.

Last edited:
We did it on a liveaboard. I am glad to say that I did it. Would I do it again?? Heck no. It is worth doing once and as mentioned if other dives and a lunch along with a new experience are included it won't be bad, I would not spend the money JUST to dive the Blue Hole. Have fun and dive, dive, dive.

I saw it from an airplane... Spectacular!

i saw it on deep SCUBA... Meh.

If you're staying on Blackbird Caye, the dives around there and Turneffe Atoll will be as good as the second and third dives if you do the Blue Hole. The people who say the second and third dives are worth it are staying on Amgbergis Caye, and the diving off there is mediocre. I'd skip it.

The wife and I did it from Ambergis Caye. Boat ride was pretty rough, even in a 40+ft boat. I'm a slow descender sometimes, and the dang DM was kinda pushing me down. Wasn't a huge fan of that. But I got down there (last) and looking around with all the sharks was pretty cool. We were glad we did it. The subsequent dives were REALLY great.

We did the dive a few years ago when we stayed at the Turneffe Island Resort. All in all I am glad we did it and like others have said, the other two dives you do with it were the best of the entire trip. Here is a short video I shot with my old system that will give you some idea of what you will see if you go.

[vimeo]8565648[/vimeo]

It's only worth the price of a postcard.the after dives are much better.

Thanks for all of the comments both pro and con. I appreciate the video and links to prior threads too. All good things to consider! Fortunately, the decision can be made at the last minute. I leave in a week and am getting excited about the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom