Is certification necessary for a first time dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tensai77:
Do I have to be certified before trying it?

Nope. In fact, you can't get certified without trying it.

The problem is that if it turns out you like scuba, you will be kicking yourself in the azz for not getting certified before you went to Cozumel. The dives you would do as a certified diver would be much better than the ones you will do in discover scuba. Is there any way you could do your discover scuba and certification if you so decide before your trip to the scuba mecca of Cozumel?

This thread made me remember something I had long forgotten. When I got certified 4 years ago, my sister in law said to me: "Why do you have to take ALL those classes? I learned to SCUBA in one morning in Mexico and I was diving in the afternoon, It's no big deal." :11:

Wonder why so many new divers end up going to Cozumel? Paradise is pretty easy (and a great place to see critters), but for the most part the constant current adds a degree of complexity to most of the dive sites that other places in the Caribbean don't have to deal with.

Wouldn't have even wanted to contemplate putting a new diver on Tunich ... it was running pretty strong when we did it. Had to duck behind coral heads and kick into the current for all you were worth just to take a picture.

Then there's the Palancar sites ... most are too deep to take newbies, or at least all the good swimthru's and big corals are down below 80 feet or so.

So besides Paradise, where DO they take the new divers in Cozumel?

Just curious ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The resort or discover scuba dives are fantastic - but hang on to your wallet.

My wife and I took a resort dive in the Great Barrier Reef in 2002, we made 3 dives in one day. Got back to the states, got certified, our garage looks like a scuba shop and we are nearly bankrupt (just kidding)

We kick ourselves for not starting to dive earlier in life:wink:

cheers

Steve

Do the resort class if your not sure... but its almost guaranteed you'll end up getting certified.
Enjoy!

tensai77:
I'm a complete newbie to scuba diving. Currently planning a trip to Cozumel and want to try scuba diving to see if it's for me. Do I have to be certified before trying it?

No need to be certified for a discover dive. It's intended to give you a taste of the diving experience. With minimal instruction you will be guided on a dive. Your guide will manage all of the technical stuff for you and make sure you have a safe experience. Check before you sign up to make sure the site will be a nice enough reef as opposed to a pool or a disappointing lagoon. I have seen them done as boat dives.

With that under you belt go home and get certified in a long format course that will prepare you to be an active local diver. Then have a blast on your next vacation. Vanquish the term "Resort Course" from your vocabulary.

I you have the time, money and motivation go do the local course before Cozumel and let the fun begin. Pay attention to the words of others regarding the challenges of diving Cozumel.

Pete

NWGratefulDiver:
So besides Paradise, where DO they take the new divers in Cozumel?

Just curious ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I suspect most hit the inshore part of chakanab. But IMO, the best dive on the island is Columbia Shallows. Little to no current, 30 ft with lush coral extending to within 10 ft of the surface, and plentiful critters. It looks like it was spared by the storms except for the finger coral on the seaward side washed there from deeper reefs. But it's a long haul south so few ops do it.

Punte Tuinich is good in its own way - like a fast tour bus.

2nd Columbia Shallows here. Great place to get hooked.

Edit to add: And I would have been willing to do it plenty more times on that trip, would have even done both tanks on it.

I did two "Discover Scuba" pool sessions, one when my LDS first opened and they had an open house, then I went along with my wife when she wanted to try it...I signed up for my certification classes (she didn't), did one class, then took a trip to the Keys and found a place that did Discover Scuba DIVING...so I did a pool dive in the morning and two 35 ft reef dives in the afternoon..then went back home and took my second class....so...YEP! GO for it, you may end up liking it! (but make sure that the operator does shallow ocean dives and not JUST a pool dive!)

Back
Top Bottom