Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today we were supposed to fly to Indonesia for a LoB next week. Flights have been rescheduled last week, and again these days they were a mess (cancellations etc). Anyway, last night together with my wife we decided to cancel the trip.

Only some flights (to and from Indonesia) are refundable. The rest (local flights here and in Indonesia) are not. Scuba republic (LoB operator) refused to refund. According to them I still have plenty of time to make to Indonesia. Here is their reply:
"You have a week to recover before the liveaboard. Unfortunately we can not give a refund this last minute for this reason."
They don't seem to care about the (now) pandemic at all. When I asked them if it is possible at least to reschedule the trip for later this year they replied:
"No, I'm sorry. You have more than a week to the trip. I don't understand why you would need to reschedule."

The exponential grow of cases (doubling every 2 days or so) seems to have started in Indonesia. Only God knows (and I am not religious) how the situation will be there in 2 weeks time (when I was supposed to be finished with the LoB).

Here in Greece government closed all schools etc today. I am on leave for 2 weeks hence time for some quality time with kids and wife! I don't even care about the 2500euros loss anymore.

All the best.

Keep checking your airlines' cancellation/rescheduling policies. They can change before you leave. Last week, our group of 7 decided to cancel our trip to Honolulu at the end of the month even if we weren't getting any money back. We purchased the cheapest "no refund/no changes" options for airfare and hotel. Our airline today just announced they will allow a one time change or credit for all fare classes. So at least for now, the money we paid for airfare is not lost. We are still trying to get a change for the hotel...and waiting for them to change policies, which may or may not happen.

Last week we were still unsure if we were overreacting. But today, our province just announced that a cancer doctor came back from Hawaii on Saturday, fell ill on Monday, and subsequently tested positive for Covid-19. Unfortunately, she went to work on Monday seeing cancer patients. We're all comfortable that we made the right decision to cancel.

Coronavirus: Physician tested positive for COVID-19 says Hamilton public health

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom