Is Cozumel overhyped? (video report)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are two different reefs, BTW.
At the end of the day I'm still not sure what dive site my night dive was. I believe it was near the Secrets resort. I thought the divemaster said we were doing San Francisco, but not the wall.

Thanks for all the comments , glad to see others have enjoyed!

At the end of the day I'm still not sure what dive site my night dive was. I believe it was near the Secrets resort. I thought the divemaster said we were doing San Francisco, but not the wall.

Thanks for all the comments , glad to see others have enjoyed!
San Clemente is a popular night dive site as well. Sounds like you had a great trip! Awesome video

Awesome video and glad you had a nice trip. One of my November journeys there was THE BEST and we got some great animal encounters and weather. That parrot fish was an absolute unit- what a beast!

Wow, wow,wow, fabulous video. Can you share what camera and lighting you used please ? Many thanks !

Wow, wow,wow, fabulous video. Can you share what camera and lighting you used please ? Many thanks !
Thanks!

For the vast majority of the underwater footage I use a GoPro hero 12. The big differences between just "ok" gopro footage and some of the nicer shots is the backscatter red filter, and a big ebay dive light that attaches to the housing (50$ "Suptig" unit). I set the gopro to 4k60 and try not to move/pan the camera very much if I'm recording. I slow some of the shots down too, and sometime have to correct colors a tad (very often still too blue or too red)

I also have a much bulkier camera setup that I used on my night dive, its a Sony a7RII with a big ol dive housing. I am by no means a pro; i don't have a dome port for wide angle, nor strobes or a cradle, I just attach that 50$ dive light to the top of the housing. I will only bother with this setup for night dive or macro, it just takes a bit too much effort otherwise!

Very nice. It has me fired up for my trip to Coz this winter.

There was a depressing amount of bleaching. Thanks for filming it all

There was a depressing amount of bleaching. Thanks for filming it all
Yes lots of bleaching in the shallower areas. You could see the polyps where still alive at that point , but I'm no scientist and I'm not sure where things go from here but it's obviously not good.

Thanks for sharing your awesome video & your thoughts. I was just there in October but I miss it already.

After now our 4th day of having the Cozumel port closed with calm water in front of our residence I am beginning to wonder why I am here to go diving.
Where are you staying? From reports from friends on the island it was rough in areas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom