Is Guaifenesin EANx safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have sinus & inner ear squeeze issues due to malformed eustacian tubes. My Dr. has me snorting the steroids and sometimes a shot of Flonase. I recently started taking the Guaifen to help try and get rid of a constant drainage/cough I have had for a month. I have to do a dive training weekend on the 26-28th this month and am planning on diving Nitrox a decent amount. Do you know if the Guaifen O2 reactive?

Yeah, I know, I'm a mess.

I don't have allergies, just a messed up head. I have learned to deal with it, very slow descents and ascents. Snort this the morning of a dive, snort this before the dive, do a little square dance and ...... you get the point.

When I get a cold, it either turnes into a sinus infection or I have a hack for a month and still need to go on antibiotics. I will sometimes get a sinus infection just from being in the water (use to get a lot, snorting steroids helped). It doesn't help that I grit my teeth too.
Thanks Doc.
Greg

PS, On the bright side, I can farmers hanky quite well under water now. I know, EWWWW, YUCK, GAG.

Im not a physician- however, Guaifenesen is an expectorant - and as such its job is to break up congestion and get it out of the body. Congestion+ diving= bad. Congestion that requires an expectorant + diving=.........

The Dr. said it would thin the mucas out and help the constant cough I had. I'm also on antibiotics too see if that helps the weird cold type thing I have right now.
This is entirely frustrating. I work out, eat good, am in good health otherwise. BUT, when I get a cold, it goes to a sinus infection or now this. One month and counting....
I really think I need to move to Florida.... The humidity always helps me when I'm down there. Now if I could only talk my wife into it.
Thanks
G

Some data points from me ... I'm not a medico, but another diver who has had issues with eustachian tubes as well as sinuses. I actually encounter these problems much more while freediving, which is tougher due to its rapid descents and ascents, than in scuba. But I've made the rounds of Flonase, guaifenesin, etc, etc.

I haven't run across anything on whether there might be an EANx issue with guaifenesin. However, I didn't find it did anything for me that I could detect. Many ear-nose-throat doctors seem to prescribe it, but there also seems to be skepticism among at least some doctors on whether it does anything.

I used Flonase for a while, but my ENT reported that it was causing thinning of the nasal membranes to the point of causing a bleeding site, so I gave up on it.

I've had the best luck with topical decongestant sprays such as Afrin. You have to be sure not to use it more than three days in a row in order to avoid a rebound effect and habituation problem. On dive days I just take a couple of squirts in each nostril, then tilt my head back and equalize so that the spray liquid flows into the eustachian tubes. Seems to work like a charm. I wouldn't use a pill-based decongestant such as Sudafed while diving, one of the reasons being that I'm usually diving on nitrox. However, I haven't run across any evidence that enough spray decongestant gets into the bloodstream to cause an issue with nitrox. (Also, if you have a severe problem with equalizing, there is always the possibility that the decongestant could wear off during the dive, causing a reverse block on ascent. Either my problem isn't that bad or the stuff really is 12-hour; haven't run into this myself ...)

Edit: Besides Afrin, I find my nasal/sinus/eustachian system is a lot clearer if I run saltwater through it on a regular basis. The preferred approach of course is to dive daily, but when this isn't possible (i.e. most of the time), I use a neti pot and mix up saline solution at home.

Web Monkey PMd me some stuff.
He had the same problems I do and ended up using a nasal saline wash system. He hasn't has a sinus infection since.
On another note, the Guaifenesin doesn't seem to help me at all. I'm going to try the saline rinses.
I'm going to ask a farmacist on Thursday if it's O2 reactive. I'll let you all know.
Thanks all.
Greg

Frank O said "I wouldn't use a pill-based decongestant such as Sudafed while diving, one of the reasons being that I'm usually diving on nitrox. However, I haven't run across any evidence that enough spray decongestant gets into the bloodstream to cause an issue with nitrox."

I have never read anything about decongestants and nitrox (oops, was that on the exam). What are you referring to?

Dr. Frankenmule:
Web Monkey PMd me some stuff.
He had the same problems I do and ended up using a nasal saline wash system. He hasn't has a sinus infection since.
On another note, the Guaifenesin doesn't seem to help me at all. I'm going to try the saline rinses.
I'm going to ask a farmacist on Thursday if it's O2 reactive. I'll let you all know.
Thanks all.
Greg

What is the nasal saline wash system you all are talking about? I have year round allergies and always end up with a sinus or ear infection if I dive when I'm a little stuffy. I take Allegra, and Fluonase on a daily/year round basis. Still have the problems, plus I use Sudafed before diving if I'm not diving Nitrox. I also take an additional 2000 mg of Vitamin C a day, as well as a multi vitamin. I read that taking more Vit C may reduce your allergy systems. Actually seems to work with me if I remember to take the vitamins of a regular basis.

You should give DAN a call.
I had concerns also with Nitrox and sinus meds and they were great answering all of my questions.

Yes, I may be a super new diver, but I too have had many years of ear problems and sinus problems. I would not dare to take Guaifenesin and go diving w/ it. You cough a lot of get up the mucus (the reason it's prescribed) and to have a great dive, you don't want to be using all your air/nitrox by coughing. Also, if you are on antibiotics, I would seriously not suggest you to use Afrin or Sudefed. It may cause an interaction w/ either the Guaifenesin or the anti-biotics (depending on the brand). Be especially careful if you are taking steriods. They have been known to cause reactions to decongestants (depending again on the brand/type) I have been there a few times. We have had to cancel dives because the Afrin wore off w/ my antibiotics working. The antibiotics will some times cut off the time of the Afrin, and you then get a squeeze on your way back up...and believe me. It does suck to be at 40' and can't surface because you get a squeeze. Just be careful, and speak to your doctor or pharmacist before you take ANYTHING with antibiotics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom