Is H2O Photo Pros still in business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharksdelight

While your efforts to help people out here are no doubt appreciated, your advice is a bit contradictory.

You're telling us to check out a sellers ratings on a website, yet you won't disclose who this "legit dealer back East" is ?? Why the secrecy ? Why not let potential customers deal direct and establish their own relationship ? I have a relationship with my favorite place to by my UW photography gear, Reef Photo. They are knowledgeable, go above and beyond the call of duty, out of the box solutions when necessary, they answer the phone, competitive pricing & free shipping, stellar service, and provide lots of VALUE. Plus they have an actual retail shop. I'm not trying to single them out or give them a plug, as there are many great UWP specialty shops to choose from. And no, I don't work for them either. I'm just a very satisfied repeat customer :)

Very valid questioning and I do not have a problem with that. The only reason is that I deal with the owner only and not the shops employees. Once I get you a better price I put you directly in contact with him. You no longer deal with me, I get nothing out of the deal but the owner gives these better prices only because he and I are friends. This started years ago when after years of him giving me better deals I asked him if I could open up the same opportunities to those on Scubaboard and Wetpixel and this is just the system he and I set up. Nothing devious and I respect your questioning. As always the bottom line is up to you but I can say that only once, and that was a few weeks ago, was I not able to save a diver money and that was because shipping to Palau was about 700. Sometimes I can save someone a ton and sometimes only a little, it really depends upon a store's markup. You'd be amazed at how little it is on certain things. I believe that most shops are reputable with honest and good service and I did warn Mike a few years ago of the rep he was creating for himself. However, whenever someone contacts me with a price they got from a store or an online place, I always check it out first on resellers to be sure that it is a legit dealer. I have friends who have lost thousands when buying from Broadway Photo which takes out huge magazine ads but is really only a grey market dealer who tries to bait and switch and all other shenanigans. Their ratings were so poor that resellers simply stopped recording the newest complaints there were so many.
Steve

PS. If you would rather not avail yourself of my assistance, may I recommend
David Haas Underwater Photography

Steve
Great recommendation ! David is a frequent poster here, and a great resource. While I've never met him, we have chatted briefly and seems like a cool dude ! He has some great blogs on the Ikelite website, as well.

Steve and Dudley,

Thanks for the confidence.

Real world set up and shooting tips always included with equipment purchases.

Some would say "Priceless" as to the value eliminating frustration in getting started shooting underwater :)

Best regards,

David Haas
David Haas Underwater Photography
davidhaas@sbcglobal.net

Attachments

• OrangeHelmetDiverAndPhotographer.jpg
    OrangeHelmetDiverAndPhotographer.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 133
I would have bet it all this day would happen..... he is that type of guy, always careful not to hold my breath when buying anything, even in person

Has anyone done business with H2O Photo Pros Underwater Photo and Underwater Video – Gates Housings, Light and Motion, Nauticam, Fisheye, Fix, Inon, Sea and Sea, Ikelite, Think Tank Photo, NanoFlash recently?

I placed an order with them on Nov 11, and have received no updates since then. I've sent them several emails asking about my order, as well as made several phone calls which never reach a live person. I've left messages.

I don't like to badmouth businesses, but this lack of communication is completely unacceptable. I will not order from them again.

Mike L .. is the strange one.. David was always good guy to me. I always got my stuff, but few times took many months of broken promises. I was really lucky I see that now. He has never been good at communication, even if you were standing in front of him. You needed to wave cash at him to get his attention.

Reefseeker, Sorry but I am not quite sure I understand what you mean. Are you talking about Mike L or David here?
Steve

Just now noticed this thread and the corresponding one on Wetpixel. I'll add my 2 cents to the litany of complaints. After following up on a couple promises that Mike made regarding over $7K worth of photo equipment, he just cut off contact. Didn't return phone calls, didn't respond to e-mails. Light and Motion defended him when I ended up calling them directly (this was several years ago, it doesn't look like he's still an authorized dealer for them) saying he was busy opening up his new shop. Too busy for customers that he made promises to after selling $7K worth of gear? It's good to hear he finally went under. Karma.

He's gone and out of business as far as I know. In February, I tried to send certified letter to initiate a $2000.00 small claim court suit. I sent two; one to his bnusiness and one to his home. Both came back without a signatuire confirming delivery.

He alawys was inconsistent and never upfront.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom