Is H2O Photo Pros still in business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Ordered some stuff from H2O photoPros, in CA, haven't got any response after 6 or 7 calls and emails. Anybody know if this company is for real? Am I on candid camera? Did I just get ripped off?? HELP!!
Read the later posts here: H20 Photo Pros - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Or more currently here:
http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39248

[quote name='Steve Williams' date='Jan 25 2011, 12:56 PM' post='272878']
Hi Furball,
Welcome to Wetpixel! It appears that the H2O photo folks haved closed down the website and are out of business. They were/are changing to a company called White Shark Imaging but that website is currently down for maintenance.

Cheers,
Steve

No idea of the accuracy of any of this - but Steve is a pretty respected photographer.

Going to try and get my money back today from photopro....or my bank rather. My trust on online buying will be more sceptical, never had an issue till now. There are a lot of great trusted companys out there, and I now will appreciate them even more.

Call your credit card company and stop payment is the best that I can offer you in terms of advice. Both Aquatica and Gates have put out notices that H2O Photo is no longer a retail dealer for them.
Steve

I sent the following PMs to a couple of you and then decided to copy and paste it for everyone in case I can help.
Hi,
It is unfortunate that H2O screwed up so much. I actually warned Mike L of his behavior as long ago as 3 years when I realized that his word meant little to anyone. I was one of the professional shooters, along with Andy Solomon who is the Aquatica rep that Mike would feature on his website. Both Andy and I told him to remove us from his site as Mike's conduct grew worse.
At any rate, while I used to post this here until site sponsors complained, I have been helping shooters buy equipment for less for many years. I have never once gotten a complaint or disappointed buyer. I get nothing, not a penny. I tell people to get a price from a legit store when they are ready to purchase. I have a good relationship with the owner of another legit store back East. I then send him the price you said you got and he tells me how much he can beat it by. Sometimes its a lot, and sometimes its not but only once has he not been able to beat their price. I then contact you and give you the owners phone number so that you do not deal with employees of the store but the owner direct. Like I said, I get nothing. I have been shooting for a very long time and just like helping others out.
One last thing, always check any store you deal with by checking their ratings on http://www.resellerratings.com/find.pl It can save you much frustration in the long run.
Let me know if I can help.
Steve Douglas

Last edited:
Call your credit card company and stop payment is the best that I can offer you in terms of advice. Both Aquatica and Gates have put out notices that H2O Photo is no longer a retail dealer for them.
Steve

I sent the following PMs to a couple of you and then decided to copy and paste it for everyone in case I can help.
Hi,
It is unfortunate that H2O screwed up so much. I actually warned Mike L of his behavior as long ago as 3 years when I realized that his word meant little to anyone. I was one of the professional shooters, along with Andy Solomon who is the Aquatica rep that Mike would feature on his website. Both Andy and I told him to remove us from his site as Mike's conduct grew worse.
At any rate, while I used to post this here until site sponsors complained, I have been helping shooters buy equipment for less for many years. I have never once gotten a complaint or disappointed buyer. I get nothing, not a penny. I tell people to get a price from a legit store when they are ready to purchase. I have a good relationship with the owner of another legit store back East. I then send him the price you said you got and he tells me how much he can beat it by. Sometimes its a lot, and sometimes its not but only once has he not been able to beat their price. I then contact you and give you the owners phone number so that you do not deal with employees of the store but the owner direct. Like I said, I get nothing. I have been shooting for a very long time and just like helping others out.
One last thing, always check any store you deal with by checking their ratings on ResellerRatings Store Ratings and Reviews and Price Comparison Shopping It can save you much frustration in the long run.
Let me know if I can help.
Steve Douglas
sharksdelight

While your efforts to help people out here are no doubt appreciated, your advice is a bit contradictory.

You're telling us to check out a sellers ratings on a website, yet you won't disclose who this "legit dealer back East" is ?? Why the secrecy ? Why not let potential customers deal direct and establish their own relationship ? I have a relationship with my favorite place to by my UW photography gear, Reef Photo. They are knowledgeable, go above and beyond the call of duty, out of the box solutions when necessary, they answer the phone, competitive pricing & free shipping, stellar service, and provide lots of VALUE. Plus they have an actual retail shop. I'm not trying to single them out or give them a plug, as there are many great UWP specialty shops to choose from. And no, I don't work for them either. I'm just a very satisfied repeat customer :)

I'm a big proponent of "value" and not just price. I can't help but think that some of the unfortunate consumers here that have been left out in the cold by H2O Photo, were "getting the best price" too. You can always "get a better price" on anything, anytime. Don't "jump over dollars just to save pennies."

Again, your efforts to help out are appreciated ! Not trying to attack you personally or thwart your efforts or concern for the betterment & integrity of this thing we all love and enjoy, UWP :)

muzikbizz----well said

reason??....I'm getting ready to spent ~3k on some stuff & my very 1st thought after reading his post was 'oh man, I could maybe save a few bucks'----but, I'm very happy with 'my deal' & my equipment I'm looking @...--------->LOL, I hope...

I can tell you that I have gone through Steve to buy in the past and it saved me a few bucks. The store he deals with is a very highly reputable store and have been in business over 50 years. They get excellent reviews!

I'm sure Steve has a good reason for not just putting the name of the store out there. Maybe the owner gives Steve's folks a little better break than other folks and would like to keep that quiet. I really have no idea. But the bottom line is, in the end you get to speak to the owner of the store directly, find out who the store is, and save a few bucks with no financial risk to you. I just don't see a downside.

sharksdelight

While your efforts to help people out here are no doubt appreciated, your advice is a bit contradictory.

You're telling us to check out a sellers ratings on a website, yet you won't disclose who this "legit dealer back East" is ?? Why the secrecy ? Why not let potential customers deal direct and establish their own relationship ? I have a relationship with my favorite place to by my UW photography gear, Reef Photo. They are knowledgeable, go above and beyond the call of duty, out of the box solutions when necessary, they answer the phone, competitive pricing & free shipping, stellar service, and provide lots of VALUE. Plus they have an actual retail shop. I'm not trying to single them out or give them a plug, as there are many great UWP specialty shops to choose from. And no, I don't work for them either. I'm just a very satisfied repeat customer :)

I'm a big proponent of "value" and not just price. I can't help but think that some of the unfortunate consumers here that have been left out in the cold by H2O Photo, were "getting the best price" too. You can always "get a better price" on anything, anytime. Don't "jump over dollars just to save pennies."

Again, your efforts to help out are appreciated ! Not trying to attack you personally or thwart your efforts or concern for the betterment & integrity of this thing we all love and enjoy, UWP :)

Many of us bought from Mike because he was our LUWPS. Not that I don't use Reef, I do for most things but bought some stuff from Mike when he had an actual store. I went to the store, paid money for something that he was GOING to ship. Never happened but he still has my money. Having a store is not the answer apparently. I will use bluewaterphoto when they have the things I need as well. We hear so much about your LDS, LBS for bikes etc. but at the end of the day, using mail order is much simpler mostly even in LA.
Bill

I've only dealt with Mike once, and followthrough was lacking. I normally purchase locally from Backscatter. They generally have everything I need in stock, and when they don't, it arrives promptly. Just don't carry a credit card through the door. As with all UW photography stores, that sucking sound you hear is the money being pulled out of your wallet. (to quote a slightly off kilter presidential candidate). I've also purchased from Backscatter online and by phone. I've never had a problem getting product from them.

Back
Top Bottom