Is Henderson worth it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
True. It is over priced. Every sport equipment is over priced.
The worst example is a golf club. The real manufacturing cost is below $10 per each club.

But, the quality is absolutely better based on my experience. So, I paid for it. The WTP (willigness to pay) is another story depending on the customers.
Let me know if you ever want to tee it up with a 20 hcp. :)

Sure, I will let you know when I am ready. I get a golf elbow again so that I need to see the doctor pretty soon. I know I know I played too much....!!
There are only three sports that I want to play forever: scuba, golf, and ski.... :wink:

StSomewhere:
Let me know if you ever want to tee it up with a 20 hcp. :)

robbcayman:
The henderson is $149 on scubatoys and leisurepro (I think) I am going to the Turks and Caicos in May and Cozumel in december so I don't know if I could just wear a shorty?? Thanks for the help

I was going $149 !! really? but after looking, that's the non-hyperstretch Henderson.

I have to admit that I love my Henderson. It isn't the superstretch but it looks as good today as it did 3 years ago when I first purchased it. I am a firm believer in purchasing good equipment.

mike_s:
I was going $149 !! really? but after looking, that's the non-hyperstretch Henderson.

Is the hyperstretch significantly better? I'll probably end up going with the Henderson.

I still haven't found a pair of boots that I like better than my henderson goldcore boots. With my wide feet and frog kicking I don't get feet cramps like I do with many other boots. What works for me, might not work for you. For boots though, I'll chip in the extra $$$ for the goldcores and be happy.

The hyperstretch style is infinitely better than any standard neoprene I've encountered. Whether it has to be Henderson, I don't know.

The hyperstretch is so easy to get into and comfortable to wear, wet or dry. Particularly for 7MM suits. And the hood is a godsend for those that need them compared to a standard tear your hair out hood. I've got the 3MM, 5MM and 7MM full suits. I prefer fullsuits to protect against incidental contact with the wildlife, particularly the tiny jellies that sting your face and hands.

robbcayman:
Is the hyperstretch significantly better? I'll probably end up going with the Henderson.

Don't you love questions like this?? The answer is that there are many different opinions as to what makes something "worth it" or not.

However, I love my Henderson Hyperstretch suits, and think they are worth every dime I've spent. I think I've tried on just about every "stretchy" suit on the market, and IMO there isn't anything close to the comfort of a Hyperstretch. Yes they pill, but that is only an asthetic problem, it doesn't affect performance or warmth. Plus, with proper care you can mitigate how much pilling you get. My 3mm has about 50 dives on it and except for a few pills on the butt, looks almost brand new. :D

A wetsuit is something you really should try on before buying it though.

robbcayman:

Well.... I have a Henderson Hyperstretch and a non-stretch Tilos shortie and non-stetch Body Glove 5mm. The Hyperstrech fits me a WHOLE lot better than the non-stretch Body Glove does. I think the Hyperstretch is worth the extra comfort.

But I've got a [sarcasm] "real divers body" [/sarcasm] and not one of those
skinny, tanned, perfect shape body models you see in their advertisements.
So having that nice extra stretch-ability here and there sure does make
it nice. I doesn't make you feel like you're being constrained by a wetsuit.

I would say the ability of it to stretch also keeps warmer movement down
also, which increases warmth without having to increase wetsuit thickness.

The Henderson suits cost more but I've been happy with mine.
I've bought a lot of gear that was "cheap" and ended up replacing it
with better gear, which in the long run costs a lot more....

There are other "hyperstretch" brand suits, but I've not used them.

For a Hyperstretch 3mm Henderson, you can pick one up from
$244 and up. I think the "nationally advertised price minimum
for the Henderson 3mm hyperstretch is around $265 though,
so thats the price you'll more likely see.

Go into some shops and try on an Akona or Tilos. If they fit
for the money, it's not a bad deal.

I dive a Henderson aqua suede hyperstretch on warm water trips...an ease to don, great fit but looks like hell after only 20 dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom