Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And lose the gas out of your drysuit at the same time?
That was a problem with the old cuff dumps but how would it happen properly weighted with auto dump set right?

That was a problem with the old cuff dumps but how would it happen properly weighted with auto dump set right?
As you orient yourself away from horizontal to dump from the elephant’s trunk the drysuit gas will migrate upwards around your shoulders and out of the dump.

This also happens when you manipulate your LH valve on a twinset

I might not find one right away but you have to admit that there is a lot of sentences like good trim is horizontal, all the skills should be taught and performed horizontally… on SB.

What I meant was being static vs moving (swimming).

How about this horizontal trim Dody?

INVERTED TRIM.jpg

As you orient yourself away from horizontal to dump from the elephant’s trunk the drysuit gas will migrate upwards around your shoulders and out of the dump.

This also happens when you manipulate your LH valve on a twinset
Couldn't put up with that my suit would be dumping at work. I set the auto to dump excess pressure. On assent. How do you manage a bit of digging on a wreck or letting up a lift bag just close a little and then open again?

Great photo.

Sometimes I will be in this position to launch my DSMB, I use a nylon rope not a spool. On crowded dives I've seen people launch their smb and get tangled up with a diver above them.

Sometimes I will be in this position to launch my DSMB, I use a nylon rope not a spool. On crowded dives I've seen people launch their smb and get tangled up with a diver above them.
Look up before launching!

Most of my dive is spent horizontal as that’s the warmest, most streamlined and most stable trim. It’s also best for rummaging around wrecks.

If I have to change attitude then it may require a little preparation in advance of the change; if going head down, then change to a little head up and dump excess gas from the drysuit to prevent it all from migrating to the feet when head down, obviously adding some gas to the wing to compensate for the buoyancy lost from the drysuit.

Similarly if going head up to crawl through some gap any gas lost from the drysuit dump needs compensating by adding to the wing. Sometimes I’ll just close the dump and keep the gas in the drysuit, but rarely is that done without an overhead above.

Yes, just like golfing, do it however you want to enjoy it, but if you want to improve and maybe reach new highs- may have to get a better form (or trim :) )

IDEAL TRIM.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom