Is is possible to breathe from your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a case in the UK about a year ago of a diver who breathed air from his BC and inhaled spores that eventually killed him. He wrote about his experience in an article of the UK edition of either Diver or Sport Diver about Nov 2010 or 2011

As mentioned six posts above, this was a fluke...

---------- Post added ----------

Fluke or outbreak of common sense...? As I said in my original post, breathing from you BC must be an absolute last resort as it carries an unacceptably high risk. I would also concur with the comments regarding what must have gone monumentally wrong to leave a diver in a position of having to breath from the BC.

Consider that if you are caught in a down current you will need every ounce of air possible in your BC.

As for reaction under water from an OOA covered in some of the above posts, I have been faced with one and have dived with my left hand on my alternate ever since (which is strangely comfortable and reassuring) as the "mask off, reg out" reaction is exactly what you're faced with... thankfully my Rescue Course Instructor had subjected me to the same indignity twice during the course!!!

There was a case in the UK about a year ago of a diver who breathed air from his BC and inhaled spores that eventually killed him. He wrote about his experience in an article of the UK edition of either Diver or Sport Diver about Nov 2010 or 2011
:dropmouth:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom