Is it a Sherwood SR1 or SR2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

floridabobbeckner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I dont know how to tell but the serial number on the first stage is: JL 287. The second stage is: JL109.
Can anyone assist in the identification?

Thanks,
bob

Unless it was switched during service, here's one way:
Screenshot_20230325_190633.jpg

Screenshot_20230325-190733_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Rob has pointed out a quick way to tell it is usually printed on the second stage exhaust T but the most reliable way on the first stage is the serial number stamped in or etched in? (SR1 stamped)

the second stage for SR 1 had a coating that made it feel tacky but turned out to not hold up in water, you will often find signs of it in the nooks and crannies.

pretty much irrelevant since when serviced the SR 1 will get the internal upgrade of the SR 2, the SR 2 cap is more robust and is easy to change over but not really necessary.

SR 1 will sell for a lot less than a 2 because people are afraid of the, for no reason.

Frankly, I thought of my very early Atomics that had different internals. Those internals were all changed over to the new stuff. So, sure...they look like the old ones but they are like the new ones inside.

But, I was hoping for confirmation and you guys helped. Because I cannot say if it was serviced I must assume it's an SR1, still.

Frankly, I thought of my very early Atomics that had different internals. Those internals were all changed over to the new stuff. So, sure...they look like the old ones but they are like the new ones inside.

But, I was hoping for confirmation and you guys helped. Because I cannot say if it was serviced I must assume it's an SR1, still.
The changes were small, different stem O ring and a spacer and making sure the two black spacers at top and bottom of that O ring have the convex side toward that orange HP O ring. There weren’t many failures with the SR1 and even those were not a huge deal but it doesn’t take much to sully a reputation, like the ACD on AquaLung.

they are very nice reliable regulators but get very little love

I ended up selling it bought thought hard about keeping it. I ended up deciding 30 regs is enough to manage. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom