Is it likely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthernMelody

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Here's the question...:confused:
Is it likely that I will successfully catch all my flights and make it to Utila by the 24th?
I am flying out Dec 23rd around noon. I am flying from Toronto to Miami, Miami to San Perdo Sula to La Ceiba all in one day and then hoping to catch the ferry accross to Utila the following morning. I am flying with Taca from SPS to LC. Are my chances good or bad? I am supposed to arrive some time around 9pmish at LC. I have a hotel booked alreadyin LC for the overnight. Oh and what are the chances I'll still have my luggage?
THX

What will you care... you'll almost be in paradise.

It's Central America, and you have to go with the flow. On top of that, you have picked a great place, but what must be described as a tertiary destination island. Add to the mix that tangled web of connections, and...

...you might want to throw an extra set of undies in that carry on.

Seriously? Mark your bags well with your route and final destination. We put three seperate plasticized (Kinko's lamintaed) travel tags showing dates, flights and addresses on each bag with cable ties.

Most places on Utila have enough rental gear to loan you if something is delayed.

Relax, you're on vacation.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and say that you'll make it. If not on the morning ferry, probably the afternoon. Don't hesitate to consider buses from San Pedro Sula to Le Ceiba if you have difficulties with flights due to weather. Hedman Alas is safe and easy and has a terminal at the airport.

Roatan man...I'm coimg over to do my IDC/IE/MSDT...I'll be there for a while. It's just the fact that I'm trying to meet my husband and one of the teens that we mentor who are coming in direct from Toronto to Roatan and then hop over that day to Utila....so, I was just trying to see if we were gonna see each other ;-)
Afterall I'm going away from him for 6 months or so...don't want to miss out on too much snuggle time. we are both leaving the 23rd but I won't arrive at best until the 24th...Bay Island Diverm thanks for the idea of taking the bus...It's a good fall back if all else fails!

Northernmelody,

I don't know if this will make you feel better but my wife and I went to Utila in March 06 and we made it from Washington DC to Utila in one day via Houston, San Pedro Sula, La Ceiba and the afternoon ferry to the island. And we had all of our baggage when we arrived. This may have been one of the miracles of life but it worked once.

Good luck and have fun, we're going back with our whole family for two weeks in March.

Guy

Perhaps I'll see you in March then...by mid-march I should be an MSDT :)
Look for the singing Canadian ;-)

RoatanMan:
...you might want to throw an extra set of undies in that carry on.

Undies ... I don't wear no damn undies when I am on vacation. If ya gotta wear'm then your not on vacation :D.

Hi CJ,

Not to scare you, but have you checked to make sure the Princess is running 12/24/06? That's the day of Christmas Eve, and several business start closing a day -to several days- before the holiday. Heck, the banks closed an entire week for Easter one year in Roatan! Now THAT was fun!!

Seems to me last year the Princess did the morning run, but not the afternoon run on Christmas Eve, and then no runs on Christmas Day, ditto for New Years. ALL ferry runs are weather dependent of course. LCE has a tough port to make if the winds/seas are up.

I'd pack the carry on with anything you 'have to have' for 24-48hrs (I think you're allowed up to 35lbs?). I've been in Honduras 10yrs now & while I can't recall the local airlines ever completely losing one of our guests bags, they have been known to take a much more adventuresome route then their owners & arrive on their own schedule (or arrive when they got back home from vacation).

Most shops/resorts will have basic gear if needed. Everything in Utila is in walking distance store wise... but again they may be closed Christmas Eve. Prescription masks, dive computers, regulator (if you're particular), & medications should always be in your carry on.... just in case.

Pack well, be flexible, know your options & accept somethings are just 'gonna be wat dey be'. The islands work on their own unique & totally unpredictable timetable.
It's part of their charm.
E

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom