is it ok to wear ear plugs while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^ Every time I see a post by this guy I think that his name is "flim flam man".

I sure as hell ain’t a diving instructor, let alone a greatly experienced diver, but…

Did someone really just ask if they could wear earplugs while diving?

That's a very crazy idea. I myself have no intention to do that with just an ordinary earplugs but honestly speaking, I had no idea either if this can be done. But I think the your forum friends already clarified the answer for you. So, to your better scuba diving experience!

I sure as hell ain’t a diving instructor, let alone a greatly experienced diver, but…

Did someone really just ask if they could wear earplugs while diving?

I'm proud that you already knew the answer but is it really necessary to boast about it? How does this help the OP?

It always bothers me when I read a reply like this. The purpose of the forum is so that people can ask questions in a friendly and welcoming environment. By taking the initiative to ask a question about a subject or an area that they are week in they are making the necessary step to improve their knowledge and to be a safer diver. I for one think he should be commended for asking the question instead of being scolded or looked down upon for not knowing the answer to what some of you have expressed to be as an easy answer. If you feel the need to insult someone why not track down somebody who DIDN'T ask the necessary questions to be safe or educated during their dives. I always worry that these posts are going to create an environment where the inexperienced are going to be afraid of asking questions in fear of being brow beaten because others feel that they should already know the answer. I understand that often these comments are made in fun and games but it sure dosn't make for a welcoming enviroment to a newcomer. Maybe they will think twice before posting another question :shakehead:

I don't mean to pick on this post in particular. There are lots like this that get posted and this one just happened to be a convenient example.

To answer the OP:
Yes you can wear earplugs but they need to be vented and designed for diving. rapidiver has posted the link for you in an earlier post to you. They seem to be the most talked about on this board but they do need to be sized proper to your ear. I have not used them to know about how well they work though. It sounds like you've had plenty of other helpful ideas and suggestions as well. I would be curious to hear back from you as to what it is that you find works!

One way to eliminate bubbles around your ears would be to get into vintage diving and try a double hose regulator. The bubbles come out from the reg mounted on the tank, and no where near your face or head.

But realistically, The only ear plugs I've heard of for diving are Doc's Pro Plugs.
You might be getting a lot of noise from the bubbles around your ears making you think that it's bubbles causing you not to be able to equalize, but I doubt that's causing the equalizing problems. You should equalize by gently pressurize your ears before you descend. Every few feet keep equalizing and don't pay attention to bubbles going over your ears, that means nothing. Concentrate on the pressure feeling in your ears and take care of that problem. Eventually you won't have to hold your nose and blow, you'll be able to just yawn with the reg in your mouth and the equalizations will become automatic.

The key is to equalize early and often. Don't let pressure build up or there may be so much pressure that you won't be able to equalize unless you go back up to relieve pressure that's holding stuff shut.

The key is to equalize early and often. Don't let pressure build up or there may be so much pressure that you won't be able to equalize unless you go back up to relieve pressure that's holding stuff shut.

What he said. Equalization isn't about absolute pressure - it's about the difference in pressure between your ears and the ambient pressure. Equalizing often keeps the difference small, and equalization is easy. Let the gradient get too big, and equalization can become difficult or even impossible without ascending (which reduces the difference again).

One way to eliminate bubbles around your ears would be to get into vintage diving and try a double hose regulator. The bubbles come out from the reg mounted on the tank, and no where near your face or head.

But realistically, The only ear plugs I've heard of for diving are Doc's Pro Plugs.
You might be getting a lot of noise from the bubbles around your ears making you think that it's bubbles causing you not to be able to equalize, but I doubt that's causing the equalizing problems. You should equalize by gently pressurize your ears before you descend. Every few feet keep equalizing and don't pay attention to bubbles going over your ears, that means nothing. Concentrate on the pressure feeling in your ears and take care of that problem. Eventually you won't have to hold your nose and blow, you'll be able to just yawn with the reg in your mouth and the equalizations will become automatic.

I have not found this to be true, perhaps for you but not for me and I'm guessing alot of other people too.

Hi all, I've noticed that on some dives that if the bubbles from my reg start going over my ears on my decent I have a very hard time (and most times) cant clear my ears at depth. Or, if im at my diving level and bubbles are going over my ears and i surface I cant reclear for second dive...

Just wondering if there would be any thing wrong with throwing in a set of ear plugs before diving to keep the water out of my ears... also thought about wearing a hood but not sure how effective it would be besides keeping the bubbles away.

I really think this has to do with your equalizing regime. Perhaps when diving in England you were more technically focused and paid better attention. Diving w/o a hood perhaps mean nicer conditions, more eye candy and you are not as vigilant in clearing on the way down.

Try to equalize on each breath when doing a drop descent.

Effectively equalizing means snaking up on your tubes with just the right amount of pressure. be sure to equalize once a day, every day. The while driving to the sire, when you arrive, as your gear up and right before starting down. You will get better and your tubes will be conditioned to respond.

I have heard of a tight hood causing problems, but not bubbles.

Pete

I have not found this to be true, perhaps for you but not for me and I'm guessing alot of other people too.

It takes practice. I notice that by doing the yawning method (I can't remember if it's the Frenzel or the Valsalva movement? - I get confused as to which one is which),
I don't get the swimming head and excess fluid from stressing the ears out from forced clearings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom