Is it possible to exhibit signs of skin DCS during the working portion of a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a better picture of the champagne bottle. I wonder which one of the explorers put it there, Exely or Skiles?
PICT0102.jpg

I have also been having issues with skinbends. Last Sat. (3/8) I did a long swim at Jackson Blue, RT of 150min including deco. Actual dive time of about 120min. Swam back to around 3200ft turning at 75min and took my time on my way out.
This was my 15th dive over 9 days. Diving Ginnie, Peacock and JB. Had skin bends early on in the week at Ginnie but nothing again until my last dive. Most of the dives are 90min plus and I'm on a rebreather with a setpoint of 1.3
My GF was 30/80 but lower to 30/75 seems not good enough and will try 30/70. Being older (64) and a bit over weight doesn't help.
I've had the same problem on deep trimix dives. Need to find work-arounds to resolve the problem.
Seeing as TracyN's problem and mine happened at Marianna, maybe its something in the water :D

Al

So early in the week you had skin bends but decided to keep diving? Older, overweight, rebeather, caving, high flow (Ginnie) and long dives....interesting choice to keep diving during the week.

So early in the week you had skin bends but decided to keep diving? Older, overweight, rebeather, caving, high flow (Ginnie) and long dives....interesting choice to keep diving during the week.

So, guess I should of packed up and drove home? That might of been your reaction, but its not mine. The skin bends early on in the trip cleared up after a couple of hours. Reoccurring on the last dive of the trip. If I had a crystal ball I could of skipped the last dive avoiding the problem. As it was the symptoms on the last dive also disappeared after a couple of hours.

Al

So, guess I should of packed up and drove home? That might of been your reaction, but its not mine. The skin bends early on in the trip cleared up after a couple of hours. Reoccurring on the last dive of the trip. If I had a crystal ball I could of skipped the last dive avoiding the problem. As it was the symptoms on the last dive also disappeared after a couple of hours.Al

I said, "interesting..." You can take what you want from my statement and I really care less as to your opinion of my thoughts. I was just thinking about how many patients I have had that had several signs or symptoms of heart trouble or else that they just wrote it off as the signs symptoms went away. You body was trying to tell you something that you chose to ignore. OK here and good diving in the future.

Referring back to the OPs question, ScubaAl, how did your skin bends manifest themselves?

Referring back to the OPs question, ScubaAl, how did your skin bends manifest themselves?

My symptoms were not on my hand, but my abdomen. Itchy with some tenderness, also small area of mottling. This cleared up within a few hours.
I jump in on this thread hoping to see what others have experienced, along with what people might have done to resolve the problem.
At this point I will change my GF to 30/70 and be better hydrated.

Al

You might also try losing a few pounds, ensure you are doing your stops and then some and ascend from last stop to surface as slowly as possible. Do more conservative profiles. Other than that I've got nothing, since you say you are going to change your mix.

I've had two skin bends, both starting with the overall skin itch, moving to extreme pain in lower back and the marbled bruise mottling around my upper hips and on my tummy. That you were better in a few hours is amazing to me. I was out of the water for a couple of days each time. I've lost weight, gone to nitrox from straight air, and really watch my ascent rates. Not much I can do about getting older. So far so good.

Al, perhaps youve done some reading on skinbends and if so, you may have noted the correlation between the kind of skin bends you and I are discussing, with PFO. Consider that before you go diving again as soon as your skin bends appear to have resolved.

Last edited:
First off: just because you set your computer to a GF (20/80, 80/90, 35/85…&#8230:wink: does not mean that you actually dive that profile! Unfortunately Dave from Shearwater has not made it possible to actually review one's dived GF!

Most people actually dive a profile less than what they dialed in. Why? Because in order to actually dive what you dialed in your ascend rate has to be 30 ft/min! Ever wondered why your TTS increased during your ascend than what you had at the beginning of your ascend? That's why!

Second, the AddHelium GF/deco lecture is not available as a webinar or on YouTube or other media. Currently, if you want to hear it you have to attend it. Sorry Wookie that you could not make it the last time. The next one is given during BTS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom