Is It True that the Meat Industry Causes More Pollution Than Cars?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

being a vegetarian really isnt that difficult. and the last time i looked around, there were a few million americans that could handle skipping the all you can eat bacon buffet.

Um yes, can i have the 16 oz, medium rare with a side of colon cancer. And a diet coke.

How do we as American citizens go about promoting the idea of a realistic public transportation system comparable to the rest of the modern world? I know that myself and many other Americans that have lived and traveled in Europe and Japan and have first hand experience with a modern rail mode of transport know of the benifits, but how do we convince our fellow citizens to accept such a massive and costly project?

How does an entire a nation of people change their lifestyle from generations of auto erotica induced propaganda and a pertoleum based economy? I hope we grasp the concept of change very soon!!

mynamehere:
being a vegetarian really isnt that difficult. and the last time i looked around, there were a few million americans that could handle skipping the all you can eat bacon buffet.

Um yes, can i have the 16 oz, medium rare with a side of colon cancer. And a diet coke.

If god did not want us to eat animals then why did he make them of meat? :wink:

catherine96821:
..ugh, spam mucibi. my son lives on those. and my daughter is hooked on poi. :rude:
Spam musubi. MUSUBI. People get deported for misspelling stuff like that.
"Mucibi" is either a Tongan or Turkish word.

mynamehere:
and when was the last time you caught your own meat?

:crafty: ...just last fall... venison is delicious and healthy. Put two in the freezer each year... do my own processing as well...

So... how many of your REALLY knows where your food comes from? (... and 'NO'... "From the grocery store in little packages." isn't the correct answer....)

J.R. - thats what i mean. No one really knows where their meat comes from, what their meat was fed, how their meat was treated, and what ecologicial impact the industry actually has. (thats why i like this thread)

So as much as my heart aches for any animal that is killed (especially cute ones with names like babmi), the only type of meat consumption that i think is natural is the kind where you get it yourself and process it yourself. Anything else is either over harvested or mass produced. (generally)

i put this in another post here, but here it is again for all you hot dog lovers
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12840743/porks_dirty_secret_the_nations_top_hog_producer_is_also_one_of_americas_worst_polluters

and the general meat and environment side:
http://www.goveg.com/environment.asp

mynamehere:
So as much as my heart aches for any animal that is killed (especially cute ones with names like babmi), the only type of meat consumption that i think is natural is the kind where you get it yourself and process it yourself. Anything else is either over harvested or mass produced. (generally)

I respect your perspective... as an ol' ex-farm boy who still lives in a farming community I can assure you that few understand the logisitics of feeding the world... from any diet perspective. (Heck, I grew up on a farm... and I'm not sure *I* understand them any more...) Interestingly, most people find it very difficult to believe that someone who hunts actually cares more about the animals than he does individuals... to some degree's its that 'circle of life' thing... to some degree's its seeing the 30,000 or so deer that are killed each year on the highways of Illinois... to some degree it's because I find them much more *reasonable* and human than most humans I know. (I also HATE zoos... but, that's just me...)

Man is a pretty lousy steward... his first mistake is insisting on his own propogation and exploiting his skill set to his advantage. He has no qualms about *experimenting* on a massive scale to try to manipulate nature to suit his wants and imagined needs... and really isn't smart enough to understand the the long term unintended consequences of his actions... he does with what I hope are the best intentions... and then rationalizes when things backfire on him and looks for the next *religion* that's gonna' fix things.

The problem is that man has interfered with the natural process at every turn since the beginning of the species... we are what we are... and the natural process will remove us from the gene pool when we insist on it.

As I've put previous posts... WE are the problem... on so many levels. We're not a self regulating speicies by any stretch... never have been... and, in all probability, never will be. Industry and consumer demand have made the nice 'homey' family farm a relic of the past... globalization has put increasing price pressures on farmers... while one might think that the use of ethonol would increase the demand for grain products and improve the market... nope... the costs introduced in equipment scales, soil amendments, pesticisides, genetically engineered seed, transportation, etc... keep the farmer "down on the farm"... and where does this demand come from???

I abhor cities the way some abhor meat in their diets... but I understand their necessity as a place to warehouse the surpulse populations... it makes the logistics of social support easier. But that, in turn, makes demands that can't be filled by ideology and thus we create "Soylent Green"... not literally of course... but "Soylent Green" none the less...

I doubt that there are many people who have the faintest clue how to exist in a "natural" environment or the desire to develop the tools. "Natural" is an euphanism for "sanitary" or "clean" (physically or psychologicall) in most instances. Trust me... the *natural* world is not "clean"...

Darwin works... Darwin has always worked... Darwin will work again...

While there is always a temptation to lay blame on so many social issues, the FIRST step is to accept our own culpability. *We* are the agents of change... those who produce food, materials, houses, wiz-bang electronics, cars, energy, etc... are our agents... our proxies in the manufacturing process. We turn our labors into a universal medium of exchange and barter for that which we can not produce ourselves. Change your individual wants and desires... change the world. It's really that simple....

... as noted earlier... "We have met the enemy... and he is us..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom