Is scuba diving a sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cooperscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
e internet is full of people who say diving is a sport, not surprisingly they all seem to be divers and their reasons are varied and many but a very common reason given is that “you burn lots of calories”; that’s all well and good but burning calories is not a recognized criteria for defining a sport. Do we consider people who attend Weight Watchers sportspeople? Of course not. Burning calories is ‘exercise’ and while most sports involve exercise, exercise is not a definition or criteria of a sport. Another common reason given is, like skydiving, you have to be certified to go scuba diving. By that definition doctors, nurses and accountants are all sportspeople when obviously they are not, or at least in their respective careers and, in it’s infancy, you didn’t need any certification to go diving. I doubt most people who say diving is a sport, based on their rationalizations, could actually define ‘sport’.
Scuba diving is classed as an “extreme sport” but so is bungee jumping. An “extreme sport” is simply an activity that is perceived as having a high level of inherent danger. Just because something is classed as an “extreme sport”, doesn’t make it a sport. I would also hazard a guess that scuba’s “extreme sport” classification has more to do with insurance companies and marketing than the “sportiness” of diving.
So, if simply classing something as a sport doesn’t make it a sport, what does?
SportAccord, the de facto representative of international sport, uses the following four criteria to define a sport:
i) It should be in no way harmful to any living creature – that’s spearfishing straight out the window then.
ii) It should not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier – scuba most certainly qualifies as a sport on that point.
iii) It should not rely on any “luck” element specifically designed in to the sport i.e. a level playing field – I don’t even know how to apply that to scuba to be honest but, I guess, my guests and I were lucky yesterday when a reef shark happened to swim by, so that must disqualify us as sportspeople.
iv) The fourth criteria is the biggest stumbling block for scuba being a sport as classified by SportAccord – It should have an element of competition i.e. an opponent or opponents trying to score more goals than you, or trying to beat your time etc. Diving simply does not have that.
There are opposing views regarding competition as a defining element of a sport – As an example, the Council of Europe include all forms of physical exercise, including those completed just for fun, for their definition of sport, but that begs the question “Is sex a sport?” However, with almost all professional sport involving competition, and governing bodies requiring competition as a prerequisite of recognition by the IOC or SportAccord, scuba diving really struggles to be classed as a sport.
My personal view is, as you've probably guessed, that I don’t regard diving as a sport. Diving for me is a hobby I started in ’97. Admittedly it’s a hobby that has consumed a great part of my life, but it is still just a hobby. I dive with the intent to better myself; sometimes it’s to better myself at buoyancy, sometimes it’s to better my air consumption, sometimes to take a better photograph but it is always to better myself with the experience and the sheer enjoyment I receive from flying in a current or exploring a reef or being surrounded by shoals of fish or a brief glimpse of an apex predator but I’ve never dived to better anyone else. And that is, for me, the defining point of a sport, official or unofficial, to be better than someone (i.e. direct competition) or to better someone’s record (i.e. a score, a time, a thrown length etc.). Whether it’s a team sport, such as football, or an individual sport, such as, I don’t know, show jumping – a sport has winners and losers, something scuba diving doesn't.

Is rock climbing and mountain climbing a sport?
Is hiking a sport?
Is it a sporting event when I go to The Funky Buddha Brewery and play cornhole, bocci ball, and throw darts with a beer in my hand?
When I sign up for tournaments, rise early, suit up, grab a speargun, drop into the sea, and annhialate Lion Fish by the hundreds, is that a sport?
Who cares?
Its a hell of a lot more fun and sporting than sitting on my butt at Joe Robbie Stadium eating peanuts while wearing my vintage Larry Csonka jersey and watching the Miami Dolphins play football in the futility we have grown to expect as of late.

Chug
Thinks Land Surveying is a sport.

Last edited:
Pastime is one option. IMO it is a sport, non-competitive sport.

Its a lifestyle.

Those who get it understand, those who don't understand it don't get it.

Pastime is one option. IMO it is a sport, non-competitive sport.
I agree. Non competitive sport...and since the vast majority of folks these days have never played a competitive sport, they can silence themselves about what they do not know.

The word sport has many different definitions and many different uses. Whenever these discussions get started on ScubaBoard, which happens quite frequently, it comes down to this.

Poster A: According to the way I define the word, scuba diving is a sport.
Poster A: According to the way I define the word, scuba diving is not a sport.

I don't view diving as a sport ... I view it as a recreational activity.

About the most calories you're gonna burn scuba diving ... assuming you have reasonable skills ... is getting into and out of the water. Once in the water, it's more like relaxation therapy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i) It should be in no way harmful to any living creature – that’s spearfishing straight out the window then.

I guess Sport Fishing is going to have to rename their activity as well.

I don't know what to call SCUBA diving, or care, but I'm going to keep on doing it.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom