is Sidemount diving more safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't understand our friendship.

come on, guys. behave. its christmas eve tomorrow... get a good hot egg nogg that gives you some acid in your offals so you could fill up an lead battery...

cosy time, or as we say here in bavaria

staade Zeit!
lol. Jim and I are life long friends all the way to the core. The type of friendship where if he was broke down in Maryland and needed my help, I’d be there, even more than that, if you were broke down in Maryland and Jim asked me to help YOU I’d be there. And he has been there for me at my lowest and my greatest. When I was so broke I couldn’t pay my electric he loaned me money, when my son died, he was literally a shoulder to cry on. He could call on me to bring a shovel or a checkbook.

I promise he can handle a little bit of ribbing.

I love ya man. :)

My personal, extremely biased and inexperienced perspective is that it's safer.
People have fallen on their back in waist deep water wearing doubles and nearly (or actually) drowned because the valves were off. Literally a non-issue in sidemount.
People have gone OOA because of a forgotten isolator. Impossible in sidemount.
Forget to switch regs and you'll notice the imbalance giving a primitive form of gas consumption feedback.
Dropping in without a BCD or drysuit whip hooked up in backmount can be a real pain at the best of times.

I'd go so far as to say I would not feel safe solo in anything except sidemount. Entanglements behind the head are much less likely. If I get injured and need to crawl out I can do it without having to try and ditch doubles from prone on shore dives.

jep. understand. sure its crazy to set that up.
but maybe a statistics nerd made some study for a master diploma and did some calculations in meta data to get a good mark...?
I am a math-nerd and computer programmer, not a statistician or "machine learning" expert. Regardless, I've had to deal with plenty of messy data. (I do at least know enough about it to not take 98% of statistics or polling seriously) You're probably not getting someone like me to do it, or at minimum wouldn't get a good job, simply because such a project would be massive, and because I'm not really sure we'd get much value out of it.

Then you have a bunch of problems:
  1. Gathering the data.
  2. Determining what the data means
  3. Interpreting and normalizing (classifying) the data
  4. Trying to figure out if you're actually testing for the thing you think you're testing for.
I could easily take the same data set or information, and make it draw pretty much any conclusion I wanted it to.

The type of friendship where if he was broke down in Maryland and needed my help, I’d be there, even more than that, if you were broke down in Maryland and Jim asked me to help YOU I’d be there.
Hopefully, he breaks down in Maryland on Christmas eve so you have to go see him! :santa2:

jes,
Back at ya..Merry Christmas.
read it between the lines when i had a glance at your biases... so i tried to jump up your spirit :) good friends who bring a shovel and a .45 are seldom. especially in scuba.. many interesting people there as Freud said... :)

I am a math-nerd and computer programmer, not a statistician or "machine learning" expert. Regardless, I've had to deal with plenty of messy data. (I do at least know enough about it to not take 98% of statistics or polling seriously) You're probably not getting someone like me to do it, or at minimum wouldn't get a good job, simply because such a project would be massive, and because I'm not really sure we'd get much value out of it.

Then you have a bunch of problems:
  1. Gathering the data.
  2. Determining what the data means
  3. Interpreting and normalizing (classifying) the data
  4. Trying to figure out if you're actually testing for the thing you think you're testing for.
I could easily take the same data set or information, and make it draw pretty much any conclusion I wanted it to.

Hopefully, he breaks down in Maryland on Christmas eve so you have to go see him! :santa2:
as main data keeper for me data- its all rubbish and waste of ressources :cool: but i thought maybe one had the spirit and enthusiasm to drag them together and make funny columns or checkered lines

Back
Top Bottom