Is the OrcaTorch D550 a good fit for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bfwolf1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm AOW with 82 dives. The only equipment I own is a mask, dive computer, and a GoPro 11. I always rent everything else wherever I go. Diving is pretty much reefs and the occasional wreck.

I was in the Philippines earlier this year, and I was pretty impressed with what some of the DMs and other divers were able to illuminate with their lights during day dives, critters hiding under the reef and whatnot. And then of course I'm also shelling out for renting a light during night dives. So I think it's time for me to get my own light.

One thing I've been trying to figure out is how to hold everything lol. I've always worn my dive comp on my left wrist, and then with night dives I've held my light in my right hand. I haven't ever brought my GoPro on night dives because I figured it was not going to get good footage anyway. But now if I'm talking about using a light during day dives, I feel like this changes things. I'll want to have my light and my GoPro in opposite hands so I can light up what I'm filming. And the more I think about it, the more I think it makes sense to have my dive comp on my right wrist so I can look at it while using the inflator. So maybe I should have the light in my left hand, GoPro in my right hand, and dive comp on right wrist. Which would take some getting used to but it's good to build good habits. So all of that is to say, one of the things I like about the Orcatorch D550 is it comes with that glove-like attachment for holding the light. This seems super useful for keeping that left hand free without having to drop the light and let it hang from its lanyard and then grab it again when I'm done fiddling with my inflator. But I've never used one of these glove light attachments. Do people like them?

Besides the glove attachment, which can obviously be bought separately, I also liked that the D550 comes with a nice carrying case. I was considering the D530 but it doesn't come with a case...how do people transport their light, batteries, charger, without one?

It feels like the D550 is a good fit for me, but wanted to know what others think.

I highly recommend the D550, I use one on every dive. I dive mostly during daylight so not reliant on the light all the time. I have DC on right because when ascending on line it is much easier to hold line with right hand and leave left hand free to release gas. One consideration with a hand mounted light is where that light will shine as you use that hand for other tasks. If on the left hand, you will light up above you everytime you release gas, on your right hand you will light up to your left everytime you look at your DC. So, it is important to understand who/what you are blinding on a night dive. I personally do not hand mount my lights, my primary is tethered to my right BCD adjustment strap and hangs straight down when not in use. I find that this eliminates the blinding effect of the light moving whereever my hand moves. However, it does occupy my right hand when in use, but has never affected being able to read DC while using light. I don't have a camera or GoPro, so I will leave that discussion to someone who has that experience.

I find it plenty bright, but had issues with the connectivity... i have no scuba plans for 2023 right now but if i do i will order new batteries to see if that helps remedy the issues

I highly recommend the D550, I use one on every dive. I dive mostly during daylight so not reliant on the light all the time. I have DC on right because when ascending on line it is much easier to hold line with right hand and leave left hand free to release gas. One consideration with a hand mounted light is where that light will shine as you use that hand for other tasks. If on the left hand, you will light up above you everytime you release gas, on your right hand you will light up to your left everytime you look at your DC. So, it is important to understand who/what you are blinding on a night dive. I personally do not hand mount my lights, my primary is tethered to my right BCD adjustment strap and hangs straight down when not in use. I find that this eliminates the blinding effect of the light moving whereever my hand moves. However, it does occupy my right hand when in use, but has never affected being able to read DC while using light. I don't have a camera or GoPro, so I will leave that discussion to someone who has that experience.
That's good perspective. I guess I don't like the idea of having the limited range of motion of having the light tethered to the BCD. Or if it's long enough to give full range of motion then it feels like an entrapment hazard. But yeah, it sure does seem important to know where you're pointing the light if it's mounted when doing non-lighty stuff, especially during a night dive when the light is always on.

That's good perspective. I guess I don't like the idea of having the limited range of motion of having the light tethered to the BCD. Or if it's long enough to give full range of motion then it feels like an entrapment hazard. But yeah, it sure does seem important to know where you're pointing the light if it's mounted when doing non-lighty stuff, especially during a night dive when the light is always on.
You can always add a retractable lanyard, I had one initially but rarely moved the light far enough from my body to require it. So, I removed the retractor and just clipped it to the strap. I try to keep it as simple as possible, less to worry about.

Charger in a carry-on backpack with other electronics/cords. Batteries in a plastic case in the same carry-on. The battery-less light can go checked or carry-on (no special case/protection needed).

I tie a boltsnap to the tail of the light and clip to a chest D-ring. The front end is secured to the harness strap with a loop of bungee cord or inner tube to keep it from dangling.

If you take it off the D-ring, you can clip to a loop of bungee around your wrist for security or when both hands are needed. (Alternatively, use a light glove.)

I use a boltsnap and the smallest size scrunci. A small scunci works like bungee, incredibly inexpensive and can be found in any drug store.

I like my 550. I used in in the included glove thing for a wreck diver class recently and it worked fine. It's kind of a toss-up between that and the 530 as to which one I prefer; I like the side button on the 530 over the tail button on the 550, but when using it with the glove the tail button is better. Don't get too excited about the "carrying case" - I've never actually carried the light in it. I think it'd take up too much room in whatever you're packing.

I tied a bolt snap to it, so if I'm not using it in the glove I just clip it to a D-ring.

Edited to add - both the 550 and 530 have pretty significant bright spots in the middle of the beam. They both have pretty tight beams, I think they're around 8 degrees. Nice for penetrating light but not so great for using your GoPro. The hotspot in the middle of the beam will wash out whatever you're pointing it at if you're within several feet of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom