Is the Sony RX100M2 a good UW camera for the beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seen as you have the 100M2 already you may as well just jump into the deep end, both $$$ wise & ability wise. As Interceptor has said it is not the easiest of cameras to use, not nearly as "user friendly" as say a Canon point and shoot.
I would recommend you shoot on land in full manual just to get a good feel for it and if you can manage this get into a pool and do a few pool sessions with it.
Stay patient and you will get the hang of it.
Spend as much as you can on GOOD strobes. The Inon Z240 or similar. WA needs lots of light power. And the strobes will outlast your camera set-up by a long way.

I have the Nauticam for RX100 mk1, it's a great little camera. Only thing is these cameras lose value fast, and then you'll be stuck with a ~1000 housing that has low resale value (because the camera is outdated).

If you shoot often, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. If you're buying just for the Maldives trip, well... As Interceptor said maybe a cheaper and easier camera can be a good option. The key for photography is light, not the camera.

In my humble opinion the best investment you can ever make is in training, not gear. It's quite possible to have the best camera ever and take bad pictures, or to take wonderful shots with average gear. Ideally you'll have both, but I would definitely start with training and once you understand what you need and what kind of pictures you like to take, you can make a decision about the gear you need.

Spend as much as you can on GOOD strobes. The Inon Z240 or similar. WA needs lots of light power. And the strobes will outlast your camera set-up by a long way.

Absolutely support the idea. In my first rig I made the mistake to underestimate the strobe part and got a pair of weak s2000's. Alright, they are fine for macro, but even a sea fan 50cm away is too far, too dark...

Given that these little cameras come with small 1" sensors, still ISO is limited to ~400, z240 is the minimum, I am getting a subtronic nova + maxi combo, which is also a better match for the UW color temperatures.

In my humble opinion the best investment you can ever make is in training, not gear. It's quite possible to have the best camera ever and take bad pictures, or to take wonderful shots with average gear. Ideally you'll have both, but I would definitely start with training and once you understand what you need and what kind of pictures you like to take, you can make a decision about the gear you need.
Absolutely true. Great photos were shot on Ektachrome 64...

Last edited:
So the rx100m2 is not a good camera for shooting in automatic or aperture priority
If I want a camera to shoot pretty good in automatic mode and still have the ability to learn in manual mode a camera like the g16 would be a better choice ?
Thanks
Joe

Seen as you have the 100M2 already you may as well just jump into the deep end, both $$$ wise & ability wise. As Interceptor has said it is not the easiest of cameras to use, not nearly as "user friendly" as say a Canon point and shoot.
I would recommend you shoot on land in full manual just to get a good feel for it and if you can manage this get into a pool and do a few pool sessions with it.
Stay patient and you will get the hang of it.
Thanks for the reply. I have been doing just what you suggested since my last post. I have been using the camera in manual mode only. also read a full photography books. I also have a canon 70d that I am also using mostly in manual to get accustom to manual. I have not gotten the housing for it as of yet but will be getting a Nauticam and a ys-d2 strobe to go with it to start out with. It should be powerful enough to start. I have a Good video light to pair it with for now. K will most likely add a second strobe later on. I will be using it in the local quarry until the trip to Maldives. May I ask what makes the 100M2 such a hard camera to use underwater?

I have the Nauticam for RX100 mk1, it's a great little camera. Only thing is these cameras lose value fast, and then you'll be stuck with a ~1000 housing that has low resale value (because the camera is outdated).

If you shoot often, I think you'll enjoy it a lot. If you're buying just for the Maldives trip, well...

In my humble opinion the best investment you can ever make is in training, not gear..

Pedro, I'm not buying it just for the Maldives. We usually do two dive trips per year. We are just doing one this year do to the cost of the Maldives trip and we will be staying for three weeks using much of our vacation time. Next year we are planning trips to Grenada and back to Bonaire(we do Bonaire ever other year).

I agree that the cameras and housings lose their value quickly. I have a 3 yr old Sony pocket camera and Ikelite housing that is worth next to nothing now. The camera took ok pics in auto but I hated the housing. I do have a canon 70D that I could build a rig for but the cost of a housing for that can top $3000 alone. And the size of the rig will twice the size. So using the 100M2 makes sense to me. Its lower in cost for a rig than a DSLR and smaller for travel.

I also agree about the training. I have read three photography books and used both the 100M2 and 70D in manual mode since I first posted. If I get a housing for the 100M2 I will be using it in my local quarry as much as I can before my trip.

I feel the same way about my camera kit. Got a nikon d610 but can't justify a $5k kit for an outdated camera that is worth less than a fifth of this

@jbilicska: I have no experience with the g16, sorry. With the rx100 mk1 I don't like the camera meter on aperture mode, but you can make it work. I think it's a good kit to learn to shoot manual. Nauticam housing is excellent and controls are easy and accessible. If you can find a used one in good conditions it still is a very good and very portable kit.

Also keep in mind that an rx100 (or equivalent from other brands) with a good strobe can give far better results than a more advanced camera with no lights. To put it in a different way, depending on your budget it can be a good option to start with a good strobe and simple camera (saw good pictures from a canon s95 for example)

I feel the same way about my camera kit. Got a nikon d610 but can't justify a $5k kit for an outdated camera that is worth less than a fifth of this

@jbilicska: I have no experience with the g16, sorry. With the rx100 mk1 I don't like the camera meter on aperture mode, but you can make it work. I think it's a good kit to learn to shoot manual. Nauticam housing is excellent and controls are easy and accessible. If you can find a used one in good conditions it still is a very good and very portable kit.

Also keep in mind that an rx100 (or equivalent from other brands) with a good strobe can give far better results than a more advanced camera with no lights. To put it in a different way, depending on your budget it can be a good option to start with a good strobe and simple camera (saw good pictures from a canon s95 for example)

Thanks Pedro
I am a snorkeler who dives down a whole lot, not quite a freediver.
I usually shot in about 15 feet of water and being a snorkeler macro isn't a concern. I've been using a Olympus 7070 in an ikelite housing without a strobe. I'm thinking of getting either the rx100 (I or II) with an ikelite housing and the sea and sea ys03 strobe. I like to keep things kind of simple for now but will love to get on that manual learning curve.
So it's either the Sony rx100 or Canon g16
Over here in NJ we're getting up to 30" of snow but I got the day off from work so life is good
Thanks
Joe

Thanks Pedro
I am a snorkeler who dives down a whole lot, not quite a freediver.
I usually shot in about 15 feet of water and being a snorkeler macro isn't a concern. I've been using a Olympus 7070 in an ikelite housing without a strobe. I'm thinking of getting either the rx100 (I or II) with an ikelite housing and the sea and sea ys03 strobe. I like to keep things kind of simple for now but will love to get on that manual learning curve.
So it's either the Sony rx100 or Canon g16
Over here in NJ we're getting up to 30" of snow but I got the day off from work so life is good
Thanks
Joe
I have two friends who decided to start with ys03-level strobes. Both regretted and ended up buying a ys-d2/z240-level one. Just saying :wink:

I have two friends who decided to start with ys03-level strobes. Both regretted and ended up buying a ys-d2/z240-level one. Just saying :wink:

Thanks Pedro
Something to think about

I'm just looking for a good camera that is easy to use shoots at least Ok in auto and one that I can learn and grow into
Being a snorkeler in 15 or so feet of water I might get away without a strobe and macro is something I'm not concerned about
Maybe I'll wait to invest in a better strobe

Thanks Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom