Question Is the tg-6 so bad for the video?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mario007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got an old hero 3 but unfortunately my waterproof housing broken I got a new one from china, the only place where I can find them :( but it seems not to be waterproof. I'm thinking to buy a new camera, I saw the tg-6, but after some research everyone suggest GoPro for video and tg-6 for photo. So this make me wonder is the tg-6 so bad about videos?

I got an old hero 3 but unfortunately my waterproof housing broken I got a new one from china, the only place where I can find them :( but it seems not to be waterproof. I'm thinking to buy a new camera, I saw the tg-6, but after some research everyone suggest GoPro for video and tg-6 for photo. So this make me wonder is the tg-6 so bad about videos?
The TG-6 is fine for video. What you've "heard" is that if your preference is video, that is what the GoPro is best at, but if you want photos don't get a GoPro, get a TG-6. Plus if you want to do macro -- video or still -- the Tg-6 leaves the GoPro in the dust.

Like Tursiops said, if all you want to do is video, you can't beat the go-pro, small package, good performance, especially with a Backscatter Flip Kit. If you want any pictures go with the TG-6, it's video in available modes is equivalent, it just does not have the super wide view, and other go pro options. Also it's low light video performance may be a little less.

Let me say this as I use both. Firstly many people do not learn to focus lock the TG6 video and leave the TG6 on Auto Focus and sometimes this means losing focus on far distance moving critters. I had someone comment on this video in another thread asking how the hell did I get such good white balance and colour on the TG6 while following a turtle. I do not do any post processing with a video editor. Go Pro cannot match the TG6 for macro video which I why I got the TG6. Also TG6 for photos over the go pro. Both can be used well just learn the differences.

Cannot do this closeup with a Go Pro. Simply cannot focus or zoom in.

Also they say the white balance or colour is poor.
There is a solution to that. How to adjust white balance on Olympus Tough camera

If you want any pictures go with the TG-6, it's video in available modes is equivalent, it just does not have the super wide view, and other go pro options. Also it's low light video performance may be a little less.

Except you can use landscape mode :) Some people buy a dome

The TG-6 is fine for video. What you've "heard" is that if your preference is video, that is what the GoPro is best at, but if you want photos don't get a GoPro, get a TG-6. Plus if you want to do macro -- video or still -- the Tg-6 leaves the GoPro in the dust.

This

As I use both, the GoPro is exceptional for video. You can get 4k quality from the new ones.
I would NOT use the TG-6 for video, I do use it for stills and its great.
If you do any post work the TG-6 is tough to match the GoPro. IMHO

The TG-6 is far superior to the GoPro for video.

Not that the TG-6 captures professional-grade video by any means, but the TG-6 allows you to perform manual white balance correction. This means your video is natural color, not green. I use a WhiBal card for setting white balance. The card stays clipped to my BC.

The battery life of the TG-6 is very poor in video mode. You will need to change the battery after every dive.

Back
Top Bottom